Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17t-j100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP ENVY 17t-j100 that has a 24GB ADATA SSD Accelerator/Cache, where I recently replaced the 1TB 5400 rpm HDD w/ and 1TB SSD drive. I've read that in this case, the SSD Accelerator/Cache is useless now that I have an SSD drive. 

My question is, what exactly should I do to the SSD Accelerator?
Do I do nothing and Windows 10 is smart enough not to use it?
Do I need to disable via software?  If so, how?
Do I need to physically remove it from the laptop?  I'm a bit hesitant to remove it as it's not accessible via the 'Service Cover', and would require more dis-assembly.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its not doing any harm where it is. Windows will not use it unless you intentionally put something on there and then intentionally access it. Windows will not store programs or anything like that on it. You can actually format it and use it as a storage disk if you wish. Maybe store pictures or music there. 24 gigs I know is smaller than a thumb drive these days but this storage is much faster than a usb thumb drive. I used to use mine as kind of a scratch disk by putting video on there for editing. You can also physically remove it or just delete the partition on it so it does not show up as a drive in Windows Explorer. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi!, @HenryYong :

Your notebook, is … https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-17-j100-Leap-Motion-QE-Notebook-PC-series/6629116/model...

The Generic Maintenance ans Service Manual or Guide, is … http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04091762

You only can install ...

Dual hard-drive configurations:

● 2TB: (1-TB 5400-rpm x 2)

● 1500GB: (750-GB 5400-rpm x 2)

Solid-state drive Only configured with system memory up to 8 GB:

● 32-GB mSATA (select models only)

● 24-GB mSATA (select models only)

I hope this helps. OandP-Engine (Technical Advisor).
Please click on thumbs to thank.
Click accept as a solution if you answered your question.
HP Recommended

Sorry, I don't think you understand my question. I was not asking what I can install.

What I'm asking is "How to disable the 24-GB mSATA SSD cache/drive/accelerator?". Can I disable it w/ just software alone or do I need to physically remove the drive as well.  

HP Recommended

Its not doing any harm where it is. Windows will not use it unless you intentionally put something on there and then intentionally access it. Windows will not store programs or anything like that on it. You can actually format it and use it as a storage disk if you wish. Maybe store pictures or music there. 24 gigs I know is smaller than a thumb drive these days but this storage is much faster than a usb thumb drive. I used to use mine as kind of a scratch disk by putting video on there for editing. You can also physically remove it or just delete the partition on it so it does not show up as a drive in Windows Explorer. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.