Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
envy 17t touch optional

I'm selecting options for the Envy 17T touch optional.   Leaving the default "jet black" and scrolling down there is no option to include a backlit keyboard. 

In order to get the optional backlit keyboard it appears as if a color other than jet black must be chosen. 

I chose "smoke gray".  I can live with that.   I do not want a silver laptop. 

Now the optional keyboards that are displayed are (ash silver).   Does this mean the keys are silver against a black or gray background (ie the remainder of the board)?   Is the whole board bright silver?   I really would prefer not having a full silver keyboard, trackpad, palm rests, etc.  

This is all kind of confusing.    Are there any full size pictures available that exhibit the backlit (ash silver) keyboard so that I can see if its something i can live with?   Are there any options for a black backlit keyboard?   

Ideally i might be able to get a look at a photo of a smoke gray envy 17t with ash silver keyboard.  Actually, ideally I would be able to order a basic black model with black backlit keyboard.

Thanks for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@svejk_32

You could try using a more precise model name and searching for images using your favorite search engine / browser.

I have a particular dislike for "silver" keyboards (regardless of the name used to describe the color). 

I suspect "ash" is another description for "silver".

MY personal observations:

Silver keyboards (in my opinion) are harder to see in spite of backlighting,

Silver keyboards are a visual distraction (peripheral vision),

Silver keyboards "seem" to have a slippery surface feel (I really doubt this is actually the case),

The key-response feels "mushy" (no idea if this is actually the case - just something I remember).

Were I you, I would contact Store.hp.com > click the flag to change to your country > call the number or chat (if available) > ask for help

If you cannot find what you want in the category, try a different notebook / workstation.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi svejk_32,

Because HP usually uses a consistent design theme, I would expect the ash silver to be similar in colour to smoke gray. Any colour scheme HP states with an "ash" usually is reference to dark grey. If you are unhappy with the product, you could always consider an exchange or refund.

I also 100% agree with Dragon-Fur. I dislike the silver keyboards because they are slippery and are terrible looking with the backlight keyboard.

I wish HP Canada also had an option for customization. :Crying:

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the comment.  I was afraid I was inviting a bit of flame over such a minor matter, but I see im not alone in disliking a silver keyboard.   Primarily for the reason mentioned that it is a periferal distraction.   I prefer that the keys/background/screen-bezel disappear (visually) as much as possible when I'm photo edititing or designing something.

If the ash silver is indeed darker gray then It may even be preferable to black in this regard.   I wish I could see one up close.

Here's an edit to this.   The thread poster here was unhappy with the readability of the keys on his spectre "ash silver" keyboard.   He replaced it with a black keyboard and announced that he was very happy with the result.  But the photos below would suggest a pretty darn "silvery" keypad and surround. 

Dont think I'd be happy with this.    Why on earth isn't a basic black backlit keyboard available on the HP17t (touch optional) model that I'm looking at?

http://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntryI...

Before

20151216_Spectre X360 KeyboardBacklit.jpg

After:

20160416_SpectreX360 Keyboard Illumination.jpg

HP Recommended

Not concerned with the color of the keys, the full-size island-style backlit keyboard with numeric keypad simply has the additional keys for the number pad included. I like that feature and didn't really care what color they were.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.