Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15z-ef2000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So my laptop (HP 15z-ef2000) apparently has a USB C Data Only port. I'm aware that it means no USB PD, or USB video output (which would be thunderbolt, I think). 

But if I were to get a USB C hub, what would be the few things to avoid on that hub since it would be useless as the port is Data Only? Is it only avoid any display output ports, or are there others that I'm missing.

I mainly want to focus on ethernet, and probably USB 3 Type A ports. But would like to have as wide of a range of ports available that I can get out of a Data Only Type C port.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello

data only means you just have USB signals on USB-C connector.

if you connect an  external hub or docking with LAN, that LAN will be connected via USB. 

if you connect an external hub or docking with video output , HDMI , VGA or DisplayPort, it works only if there is a graphics card included in the external device. that graphics card will work via USB. Usually this means that the is a DisplayLink graphics chip on the hub/docking connected viaUSB-C.

what you don't have is DisplayPort signals on the USB-C connector, so you can't add an USB-C-to-HDMI adapter for example.

I don't know if on the market you can find USB-C-to-HDMI adapter which includes a DisplayLink graphics chip, in this case you can connect a video.

a standard USB-to-HDMI adapter works with a USB-C port with video signals without the need of a DIsplayLink chip.

from signasl point of view , you can imagine the USB-C data only port like an USB 3 Type A port but with a different connector but same functionnality.

I hope to have been clear.

bye

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello

data only means you just have USB signals on USB-C connector.

if you connect an  external hub or docking with LAN, that LAN will be connected via USB. 

if you connect an external hub or docking with video output , HDMI , VGA or DisplayPort, it works only if there is a graphics card included in the external device. that graphics card will work via USB. Usually this means that the is a DisplayLink graphics chip on the hub/docking connected viaUSB-C.

what you don't have is DisplayPort signals on the USB-C connector, so you can't add an USB-C-to-HDMI adapter for example.

I don't know if on the market you can find USB-C-to-HDMI adapter which includes a DisplayLink graphics chip, in this case you can connect a video.

a standard USB-to-HDMI adapter works with a USB-C port with video signals without the need of a DIsplayLink chip.

from signasl point of view , you can imagine the USB-C data only port like an USB 3 Type A port but with a different connector but same functionnality.

I hope to have been clear.

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.