Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 17-an053nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I plan on upgrading my laptop with Samsung 860 QVO SSD 4TB - 2.5 Inch SATA 3 Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-76Q4T0B/AM). My question is will it fit??? I've been online looking and have not found anything. Please thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Crazyjoe909 

OK, thanks -- did not know that.

You have a couple of options.

First, if you go into Create and Format hard disk partitions, you might be able to use the Microsoft tool to do the formatting -- if it lets you select GPT.

Second, if it does not, then download and install the Free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard and use that.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Crazyjoe909 

All 2.5 inch SATA SSDs are essentially the same size.  Some are thinner than others, but all will fit into the area previously taken by a laptop 2.5 inch HDD.

My concern is that this large a drive has to be formatted as GPT in order to use all 4TB of it -- and if you currently have a 2;.5 inch SSD, it is likely formatted MBR instead.

HP Recommended

I'll be using this as my secondary drive to store games. Would I still have to format it as gpt? If so how do I do that?

HP Recommended

@Crazyjoe909 

OK, thanks -- did not know that.

You have a couple of options.

First, if you go into Create and Format hard disk partitions, you might be able to use the Microsoft tool to do the formatting -- if it lets you select GPT.

Second, if it does not, then download and install the Free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard and use that.

HP Recommended

Thank you so very much for your help and time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.