Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Okay, so I have a new Envy17 that is running this HPMSGSVC.exe and chewing up 25% of my CPU without anything else opened!  I've read the few posts and am trying to figure out how to remove it from launching ever again.  I'm running Windows 7 Professional and can't seem to get through any of the help menus.  Of course, it's running so slow that I'm having trouble just getting through my e-mail watching it slowly blip from screen to screen or even scroll down the page.  Is anyone out there that can provide help?

Much appreciated!

HP Recommended

I'm getting the same problem ever since my 3 month free trial of Norton expired and I installed the McAfee antivirus suite that my ISP provides.

Would be interesting to know whether those people affected have the same virus scanner.

As for what I'm doing about it - setting a system restore point and then uninstalling the HP Quick Launch software.

HP Recommended

Remove HP Quicklaunch from the Applications menu. I just had to do it myself and stumbled on this site.

If you want to remove Norton from your system or McAfee you need to use the tools provided by their makers and not the built in Add/Remove Applications. For Norton: Google Norton_Removal_Tool.exe and for McAfee it is MCPR.EXE

HP Recommended

Why do WE , have to do anything....

That said, I have a Presario CQ62 that "hangs" not only with the HPMSGSVC.EXE, but also with MSN's "Presentation Font Cache. EXE" as well.

Maybe some of you have experienced THAT problem....you'll know it.

I've found, that adding .BAK after .EXE solves this prob......so far

HP Recommended

Hi, there!

In my case, the HPMSGSVC.exe process robs CPU time just when the system comes back from a stand-by state. So I kill that process and everything goes fine (the quick lunch buttons at F1, ..., F12 still work). Furthermore, after a system reboot, everything is normal again.

Best regards.

vagner

HP Recommended

What is "HPMSGSVC.exe"? 

It stands for HP Message Service and handles (theoreticall but inproperly) certain aspects of your special (HP) keyboard functions.  I have read and personally realized that both this service is VERY problematic as well as not neccesary (at least for everything I do on my computer.)  

SYMPTOMS:

1. PRIMARY:  Your CPU is being taxed greatly when it seems it shouldn't be.  (I can tell almost instantly when HPMSGSVC goes haywire; my CPU meter jumps to between 70-99% usage and I did nothing to warrent such processing).
  2. Internet Browser (Google Chrome) starts hanging
  3. Other unexpected, strange behavior begins to occur.

DIAGNOSIS & RESOLUTION 

1. Look in Task Manager to determine if HPMSGSVC.exe is what's responsible for this excessive processing.    

How To Do This:
    -  Click your Windows Start Button  winStrtBtn.gif 
    -  Enter the following file name in the "Search programs and files" area:    "taskmgr.exe"  
    -  Press your "Enter" ("Return") key upon seeing this file being found in the search results.
    -  Task Manager (taskmgr.exe) displays several Tabs across the top; select "Processes"
    -  Click the column header labeled "CPU".  (Click the literal letters "CPU", this is called the header.)
       *Doing this sorts the processes from highest to lowest CPU usage (or vice-versa if clicked again)
    -  If "HPMSGSVC.exe" is listed first (and using over ~30% CPU, should be < 2%), it is the problem
    -  All you have to do now is "kill" this process.
       Kill HPMSGSVC.exe:   Click anywhere on this process row, then click the button (in the lower-right
                                                corner) labeled  "End Process".  Note that sometimes you won't see this process
                                                leave the list instantly, but upon restarting "taskmgr.exe" you'll see that it is gone
                                                and your computer is back to health.
  2. Shame on such a great computer company such as HP not repairing (then providing a hot-fix) to this error!
  3. Let HP know how problematic this is because to-date, I have not found an updated/correct replacement.

Glenn T. Kitchen
GTK Computer Services Co. 2012  |  gtk.vcc@gmail.com

HP Recommended

This process it's used for keyboard control function to adjust screen  brightness

HP Recommended

Short Answer: HP Message Service

Possible Reasons For Slow Speeds: Crappy computer or installed adware using java inside the service to display web ads.

HP Recommended

@edbergjun wrote:

update your anti virus and run a full system scan

This is always a good thing to do periodically

Woodwood

21.July.2017

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.