Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - cx0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to buy a cable to transfer data really fast between my samsung galaxy note 8 and my HP laptop, and apparently the phone is limited to 3.89 Gbps speeds. To my understanding, this laptop has a USB Type-C 3.1 Port and 3 USB 3.1 Type - A ports (correct me if im wrong because im unsure) and just googling gives me mixed results. Several websites state they both are limited to 5Gbps, but i know thats not right. The type c port is at least 10Gbps, correct? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Isaac10

In the future, always include the full product number with your questions.

USB-C ports speed and what it is compatible with depends entirely on what the manufacturer wired it to be.

In your case, the USB ports are wired for...

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s);

2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only)

Let me know if you have other questions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Isaac10

In the future, always include the full product number with your questions.

USB-C ports speed and what it is compatible with depends entirely on what the manufacturer wired it to be.

In your case, the USB ports are wired for...

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s);

2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only)

Let me know if you have other questions.

HP Recommended
USB 3.1 gen 1 and usb type c 3.1 Gen 1 both have 5Gbps, which is a little disappointing in the product. The only real use the type c port has now is to charge things while it's off and to use for displays. Still, that's pretty dismal.
HP Recommended

Ya I would want it to do more also. But its not wired for Thunderbolt either, which is what the big draw to USB-C is.

But it might include Display Port ability to connect an external monitor with.

What is the full product number?

HP Recommended
4DQ30AV_1
HP Recommended

Ah OK, no wonder you had issues finding info. Its a CTO model, configured to order.

Yes it has Display Port incorporated into the USB -C port. You can connect an external monitor to both HDMI and the USB-C ports and run them both at the same time.

USB 3.1 Gen-1 Type-C port (support data transfer, DisplayPort 1.2 out up to 4096×2304 (60Hz), HP Sleep & Charge)
HP Recommended
This is a question relating to the hdmi and usb c port, do they allow for high refresh rate monitors to be hooked up?
HP Recommended

Your manual... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05985643

Up to 4K 60Hz on both. So a 1080p 144 Hz will be supported by the port.

How well your graphics can handle a specific game is another issue.

HP Recommended
The manual does not state the Mhz speed, and I had the manual beforehand.
But thank you nonetheless
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.