Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv4-5164la Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I would like to know what's the best cpu i can put on my old HP Pavilion dv4-5164la Entertainment Notebook PC,  currently i have an Intel Core i5-3210M 2.5Ghz.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

The supported processors are listed in chapter 1.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03317323

HP Recommended

Can i use other cpus that are not on the list, but have the same wattage, socket, and chipset, for example the Intel Core i7-3540. That cpu has the same wattage (35), the same socket (G2), and the same chipset (HM77 Express)

HP Recommended

Since I don't own that model notebook and didn't install the processor in it that you named, there is no way I can tell you if it would work or not.

I can only quote the service manual, which gave you more information than you had previously.

If your model notebook does not have the microcode for the i7-3540 in the BIOS, it will not work.

So, installing the i7-3540 would be a gamble on your part.

HP Recommended

Ok, many thanks for your responses, since i already ordered that CPU i will try to put it on the motherboard. I'll let you know what happened.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Hopefully, it will work just fine.

HP Recommended

It worked fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.