Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hey Paul,

One question in my current laptop (HP 15S-gr0010AU), in CMD i just typed wmic memphysical get maxcapacity, memoryDevices to know the maximum RAM i can install and result came as Max Capacity 67108864 and MemoryDevices 2. Does it mean my laptop can support upto 64 GB of RAM. Per slot upto 32 GB i can install ? got doubt bcoz manual says 16GB maximum 

HP Recommended

Hi:

Theoretically the PC can support 64 GB of memory based on that report.

The Crucial memory report indicates the max is 2 x 16 GB.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp 15s-gr series | HP 15s-gr0010au | Crucial IN

I don't think I would go beyond 2 x 16 GB, but that is up to you.

HP Recommended

Hey Paul,

Hope you are doing well!!

Finally after lot of research and budget in hand, i have ordered my first SSD and additional RAM. As you told go for Samsung EVO, unfortunately i have not ordered this one because in Amazon it is quite expensive now as Amazon as increased the price. Hence, I have ordered the below. Hope this is great purchase and support my machine. Your option really matter here.

1. Western Digital Blue SN570 NVMe 500GB SSD, upto 3,500 MB/S Read

2. Crucial RAM 8GB DDR4 2666 MHz CL19 Laptop memory CT8G4SFRA266 

HP Recommended

Hi:

I am doing fine, and I hope you are as well.

Those items are excellent choices.

The WD Blue SN570 SSD should work just fine.

It has great reviews.

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul !!! 

Yes, I am doing well too.

I will be in touch though this HP community in future as well whenever I need any assistance.

Have a nice day ahead and stay safe.

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

You do the same! 

HP Recommended

Hello Paul,

Hope you are doing well and safe !!!

I need urgent assistance from you. As I mentioned earlier, I have purchased WD Blue SN570 M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe SSD. Now what i did i cloned my only original windows 1 TB SATA HDD to my SSD which is as usual showing up in the Disk management. However now 2 things are happening as below.

1. When I try to boot windows through SSD, there is no option at all in Boot Menu where i can select my SSD rather than boot from HDD. I disabled secure boot as well and all other possible way but still no help.

2. What I did i disconnect my HDD from the motherboard and retain only SSD to see if it is booting up but after turning on the laptop it says checking media and failed followed by i need to install the operating into Hard disk.

Please help

HP Recommended

Hi:

What I suggest you try is to make a bootable USB W10 installation flash drive with the Media creation tool from the link below.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

See if you can clean install W10 on your new SSD.

Temporarily disconnect the hard drive after you create the installation media, install W10 and see if it works OK with the clean install.

The problem is that you normally can't have an operating system on the 2.5" drive when you install a M.2 SSD, and on some model notebooks, it is normal for the NVMe SSD to not show up in the boot options menu.

It should automatically boot from the SSD without user intervention.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I have done the below things.

1. As you said i had created the Windows 10 installation flash drive through the link you provided and did the clean installation in SSD. Now if I temporary disconnect the SATA HDD i am getting checking media failed error.

2. Now when i connected the HDD back again, still I am not getting my SSD in the boot order option. However, after bootup I am getting 2 options whether I want to boot with windows 10 (SSD) or windows 11(HDD Drive).

My main motive is to disconnect the SATA HDD permanently and use as an external HDD if required and only to keep SSD but that is not happening when i disconnect HDD

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I'm surprised that once you installed Windows on the SSD it didn't work unless you installed the hard drive.

I think the problem is that the Windows boot manager only recognizes the 2.5" drive as the bootable device, and normally when you disconnect the 2.5" drive and install an OS on the SSD, the boot manager automatically recognizes the SSD as the new boot drive.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to clear the windows boot manager settings to have the SSD as the boot drive, and I suggest you start a new post on that subject.

Maybe someone else knows the answer.

Repeating myself...normally the process is automatic, so I don't know why the PC won't boot from the SSD straight away.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.