Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy HP Spectre X360 after returned my first one due to the faulty. I need a ultrabook (slim, light) for my daily use but especially for my academic studies. I mostly use Microsoft Office Words along with sometimes 8-9 tabs of Acrobat PDF Reader (For E-Pdf literatur) and Opera Browser. Normally I would go for a 16gigs version with i5 and 256gb ssd but there is no such option. I am stucked with these three models:

Model 1: i5 8265u - 8gb Ram - 256gb SSD + Pen = 1099 Euro

Model 2: i7 8565u - 16gb Ram - 256gb SSD (No Pencil) = 1199 Euro

Model: 3 i7 8565u - 8gb Ram -  512gb SSD (No Pencil) = 1499 Euro

Actually due to the fact that I will not be rendering anything i5 would be more than enough for me but 8gb RAM seems a bit low to me as I want to use my laptop for around 6-8 years. Actually RAM itself is the only reason why I created this topic. In addition extra 256gb SSD does mean nothing for me actually. At that point which model should be price/performance wise for next 5-8 years? Is extra 8gb ram on Model 3 really worth 300 Euro or Model 2 better choice? Or should I directly go for Model 1? Price tag between Model 1 and Model 3 is nearly 30% percent.

I willl be waiting for your answer,

Best Regards...

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Memory and SSD are upgradeable so buy the model with the processor you want. The street price of an 8 gig DDR4-2400 SO-DIMM is maybe $35. I would go with option 2, use it until you need more space and then upgrade the SSD, and buy a pen if you think you need a pen. 

HP Recommended

Huffer,

thank you very much for your help! I am a bit confused but are you really sure that these two components are upgradable? Because I have read many forums and it is being said that it is not upgradable? Or it was so for older versions but not for 2019? By the way Model 2 refers to HP Spectre x360 13-ap0017ng. Why would people then buy Model 3 version if other ones are already upgradable for much cheaper price?

And last question please... What does really pen do? Is it just a luxury option instead of using fingers for touch screen?

Kind Regards...

HP Recommended

I would need your exact model you are looking at to be sure but except on a very few models there is removable memory and SSD even in 2019. The model will also tell me if you have an active or passive screen. With a passive screen the pen is just a substitute for finger touch without leaving fingerprints but if its an active screen the pen actually becomes a very flexible content creation tool in skilled hands...kind of like a paintbrush. If you are not a content creator type then you do not need a pen. 

HP Recommended

Hello Huffer,

I leave the model numbers below:

Model 1: HP Spectre x360 13-ap0050ng

Model 2: HP Spectre x360 13-ap0017ng

Model 3:  HP Spectre x360 13-ap0110ng

Kind Regards.

HP Recommended

As far as I researched SSD is upgradable but RAM is not. Except extra 256gb SSD capacity, they literally demand 200 Euro just for 8GB more RAM.

HP Recommended

You are right. RAM is soldered SSD is removable and upgradeable.

Manual

See p. 43

HP Recommended

At that point which one would you still offer? 256GB SSD is more than enough for me. So basically is 300 more Euro than Model 2 for 16GB (8GB more RAM) worth it for the next 7-8 years of using?

Also what is the use of pen on these models? Active or passive?

HP Recommended

These models are compatible with active pen...

$300 for just an extra 8 gigs of RAM is excessive but you have to ask yourself whether you can get by with 8 gigs? 16 gigs is needed in my opinion for any kind of content creation or editing like Photoshop, video editing, document manipulation such as OCR'ing large .pdf files. 8 gigs is plenty for basic Office work and even for gaming. 

HP Recommended

Today there was a deal for Model 2. The price was 1149€ instead of 1199€. So I went for it. 350€ just for extra 8GB Ram seems utterly robbery to me. Actually 30% more than Model 2. I think it was a good choice. I won't do any rendering. And I do OCRing PDF files on my main desktop stations and then use these pdf on laptop. So it was the best choice I hope.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.