cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
rkutseiko
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

Solved!

WiFi card upgrade

HP Recommended
ProBook 455g1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.
I want to upgrade WiFi card for my ProBook 455g1 to be able to connect to 5GHz network. I have Ralink RT3290 802.11bgn right now.

I've read about whitelist and wonder if i have it? How can i chek it?

Also, what parameters, except interface (Mini PCI-Express) and form factor, should i pay attention while searching for new WiFi module?

Can I replace my current module with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 or Intel Dual band Wireless AC 7260?

Thank you for your answers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
141,277 64,841 22,030 33,948
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your model shouldn't have a BIOS whitelist, however an Intel card won't work on an AMD platform.

This is the wifi card I recommend for you...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0

HP Part # 724935-001

The card should be readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

Make sure there are currently two antennas connected to the Ralink wifi adapter.

You need two antennas in order to upgrade to a dual band wifi card.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
6 REPLIES 6
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your model shouldn't have a BIOS whitelist, however an Intel card won't work on an AMD platform.

This is the wifi card I recommend for you...

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0

HP Part # 724935-001

The card should be readily available on Amazon or eBay.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi adapter.

Make sure there are currently two antennas connected to the Ralink wifi adapter.

You need two antennas in order to upgrade to a dual band wifi card.

rkutseiko
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, Paul.

Thank you for fast and helpfull reply!

Could you tell me please how can i check number of antennas?

Specification here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-probook-455-g1-notebook-pc/5359415/document/c03765376

Says there is a "High efficiency dual antenna with spatial diversity, mounted in the display enclosure". Does this mean i have only 1 antenna consist of 2 parts? Or this means i actually have 2 antennas? 

I believe this means i have 2 antennas, but i want to be sure, so i ask this question.
Thank you.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sounds to me like it has two antennas connected to the wifi adapter, but it is easy to open the notebook up and physically check. 

In any event, you will want to look at where the wifi adapter is located, so when you get your new card, you are familar with what you are going to have to do.

Here is the link to the service manual.  The wifi card R & R procedures can be found in chapter 5, starting on page 47.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03765776

BTW, here are the links to the W10 wifi and bluetooth drivers for the Broadcom AC wifi card...

This package provides the Broadcom Wireless LAN drivers for supported notebook models running a supported operating system. Broadcom Wireless LAN drivers are required to enable the integrated Broadcom Wireless LAN adapter.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78001-78500/sp78044.exe

This package contains the Broadcom Bluetooth driver for supported models that are running a supported operating system. Broadcom Bluetooth Driver is required to enable Broadcom Bluetooth devices.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp75001-75500/sp75330.exe

You can download and save these now on your notebook's hard drive, so you are ready to go after you install the new wifi adapter.

Before you replace the wifi adapter, make sure you uninstall the Ralink wifi adapter, and Ralink bluetooth adapter in the device manager first.  Check the uninstall driver boxes.

Also, check the Windows control panel>programs and see if there is a Ralink/Mediatek bluetooth sofware program you need to uninstall.   If there is, uninstall it.

Then shut down the PC and install your Broadcom wifi adapter.

rkutseiko
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Antennas are built into display, so it's not so easy to check.

By physical check you mean see how many cables are connected to WiFi module? I would like to make it clear . I have 2 cables connected, but i thought its a default. 
Also, according to manual you provide, ProBook 455 g1 have 2 WLAN antennas built into display both UMA and discrete assembly.
So i assume my model actually has 2 antennas.

Great thank you for provided links and manuals (both as link and in message), you help me alot!

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Yes, what I meant was to make sure the wireless card has two leads attached to it.

Each lead is from a separate antenna.

And yes, most of the older notebooks always had two wires attached to the wifi cards but not anymore.

Almost all single band wifi cards only have one antenna connected to the wifi card now, not two.

And it is hard to say when this transition occured, so it is always good to check first before wasting money on buying a new card.

rkutseiko
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK.
Thank you one more time, Paul.

I assume topic can be closed.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation