Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-ac121dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Broadwell core i3 5010u CPU version of this laptop and it came with an RTL8188 WIFI module. I've successfully installed an RTL8821CE AC/BT card and it works fine with Linux/Windows. But, I would also like to know my Intel Wifi options. I bought an HP 8260 WIFI card (806721-001) from Ebay but it doesn't show up in either Linux or Windows and even with dumping out low-level hardware it seems the card isn't being recognized. Does anyone know what my options are with this laptop? Also, I'm not concerned about the lack of a 2nd antenna, I intend to install a second antenna. Can I use an Intel 9260, 8260, 7260, 3165 card with this laptop? The service manual mentions 3165, but I would prefer a newer Intel card if possible. Note: I tried 806723-001 3165NGW HP part, but it also wasn't recognized. According to service manual that should have worked.Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Techie001

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

As per the Service Guide: ,http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04653884  the Notebook supports the following WLan Card

Also ensure the Notebook has the latest BIOS UPDATE. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-15-ac100-notebook-pc-series-touch/8502685/model/...

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the reply and help. I'm already on F.29 latest BIOS and as my post said I tried HP 806723-001 3165NGW part, but it wasn't recognized (the service guide mentions no part number) FYI I've now tried 3 different HP cards  3165ngw, 8160ngw and 7265ngw. A 3165ngw would be great if it works. But which specific HP or Intel module does this BIOS support? The device doesn't show up at all with any Intel modules I've tried so far and I'm specifically interested in the Intel ones. I'm a 35 yr IT veteran, so fairly adept at trying things.The BIOS seems locked to me. The broadwell chipset and i3 should support any of these modules.

HP Recommended

@Techie001

Thank you for keeping me posted

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support for further assistance 

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I started down the HP Support path and got a message stating my laptop is out of warranty. Duh,  of course it is, it's about 5 years old. The message said I should reach out to the HP forums for help. So you're essentially sending me back in a circle again, with no way to get help. I'm a little confused why there isn't a specific answer? If the service guide says 3165ngw then shouldn't there be a recommended HP or generic Intel module? My son used this laptop since we bought it new and we recently bought him to a brand new 17" HP Envy because we were very happy with how this inexpensive HP laptop held up for the past 5 years. Since it's still in such excellent shape I'd really love to continue to use it to its fullest. Is there someone that can help me find a 3165ngw card that this laptop recognizes? It certainly looks like a BIOS-level blocking to me since it doesn't get any type of error during booting, simply that none of the modules appear at all from a hardware perspective. I've tried 8260ngw, 7260ngw and 3165ngw. All the same result. No reason for that from a hardware perspective.

HP Recommended

@Techie001,

The wireless cads shared earlier are the only wireless cards that are tested on your computer by HP. You can go ahead and install any wireless card on the computer at your own discretion and it may or may not work on the computer.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, though in four posts I have stated the following...

"Note: I tried 806723-001 3165NGW HP part, but it also wasn't recognized."

"I'm already on F.29 latest BIOS and as my post said I tried HP 806723-001 3165NGW part, but it wasn't recognized (the service guide mentions no part number)"

"If the service guide says 3165ngw then shouldn't there be a recommended HP or generic Intel module?"

"Is there someone that can help me find a 3165ngw card that this laptop recognizes?"

Again, is there someone that can answer this specific question of which HP part number I need for the 3165ngw module for this laptop? The HP part I tried did not work. And there is not an HP part number for the 3165ngw listed in the service guide. I can't keep ordering and returning modules, hoping that something will work. Replies that tell me what the service guides says, contact support, we've already told you what the service guide says are not solutions. They're not even acknowledging the question I've asked four times now. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Techie001,

What is the product number of your computer?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Model:        HP 15-AC121DX 

Product:     N5Y90UA#ABA

Thanks for continued help! 

HP Recommended

@Techie001,

Thank you for the information.

Below are the supported wireless cards for your computer.

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter Part Number: 792608-005

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter Part Number: 792609-005

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter Part Number: 792610-005

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.