Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion N278TX
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

My Laptop Model - HP Pavilion 15 n278tx

Core i5-4200U

8GB RAM

Nvidia GT840m Graphics

Windows 8.1 64bit.

Laptop came with a Ralink RT3290 Wifi card, and I'm facing issues with it. I'm hoping to upgrade to INTEL 7260 Dual Band network card. Will it support my BIOS? And I have read about BIOS whitelist. I would like to know more.

Also I would appreciate if anyone suggest some good wifi cards if the above mentiones card is not supported.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My country is Sri Lanka.

I found a listing. Would you please follow the link below and check whether it is the exact card?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Wireless-AC-7260-7260HMW-802-11AC-Dual-Band-BT4-0-PCIe-Half-Mini-Wifi-...

Thanks.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Good news: no whitelist

Possible bad news: on HP laptops shipped with "budget" wireless cards, HP often only installed a single wireless antenna which effectively hampers meaningful upgrade. 

So, before proceeding we need to have you open her up and count the wireless antennae. Easy to do on your model. 

See p. 44 here:

Manual

Once you let us know (2 or 1)if it's 2 we can find you a 7260ac card to install. About $25 on amazon.com

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt reply. As I checked, it has two antennas connected to the wifi card. Please refer the image I have attched. Appreciate if you can send me some links in Ebay, because shipping not supported to my country through amazon.20170401_001708.jpg

Thanks.

HP Recommended

What is your country and I will find you one on local eBay if possible. 

HP Recommended

My country is Sri Lanka.

I found a listing. Would you please follow the link below and check whether it is the exact card?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Wireless-AC-7260-7260HMW-802-11AC-Dual-Band-BT4-0-PCIe-Half-Mini-Wifi-...

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Yes that will work. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Sure I will. And thanks for the solution.

HP Recommended

Well you gave yourself the Solution. Thanks. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.