Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-db0069wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The 2500u is supposed to run at 1100mhz, but on this model it drops down to the 200s.   The only reason I purchased this laptop was because it had a 2500u, but with it throttling so badly, I feel as though I've wasted my money.

Throttling issues on other laptops have been fixed with BIOS updates.  Will owners of this laptop ever receive an update to solve the problem?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MaggsMill I have a few questions to help understand this concern better and meanwhile a few steps that should help your cause:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Does computer freeze or hangup? 

While you respond to that, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix:

First, let's install HP support assistance: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.  

Next, use HP Support Assistant to automatically install computer updates, such as updated drivers, system updates, and useful utilities.

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I installed the updates.  GPU still throttles.

Did this happen after a recent window or software update?

No.  I've had this problem since day one.  I'm currently on Windows Version 1809.

Does computer freeze or hangup? 

No, it doesn't freeze.  But I can see the clockspeed and fps dropping while monitoring with MSI Afterburner. 

I've also update to the most recent AMD drivers, 19.2.3.

HP Recommended

@MaggsMill Thank you for the answers, I suggest we perform an extensive hardware test to identify any hardware issues that could be causing the concern, and we could work on a remedy accordingly, as there are no updates or softpaqs available for this model other than what you've already installed using the HP Support Assistant, please refer to the below steps for instructions:

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.

4. Click Extensive Test.

5. Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

6. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) and get back to us.

Keep us posted, 

(We shall troubleshoot as a team, fight till the end and emerge - "victorious")

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Feel free to give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.