Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14 inch Laptop PC 14-f1000

Hello. I am planning to upgrade the RAM on my HP 14 inch Laptop but I'm a bit hesitant to do so because I've heard of this thing called "overclocking" and from what I've seen I need "XMP 2.0" to prevent that from happening. I'm not tech-savvy enough to be decisive about this.

Both RAM slots are already used ( 2x 4GB Samsung 3200 MHz) and I want to replace one of the slots with a Kingston Fury 16GB RAM 3200 MHz chip hoping to get 20 GB.

Should I go ahead with the upgrade or do I not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Performance memory will most likely not work.

If the DDR4-3200 MHz memory you want to buy has a CL other than 22, it almost certainly won't work.

If your notebook has an AMD Ryzen processor you need a memory chip like this:

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Performance memory will most likely not work.

If the DDR4-3200 MHz memory you want to buy has a CL other than 22, it almost certainly won't work.

If your notebook has an AMD Ryzen processor you need a memory chip like this:

Crucial 16GB DDR4-3200 SODIMM | CT16G4SFRA32A | Crucial.com

HP Recommended

Thank you! I've checked CL of the DDR4-3200 I wanted to buy and now will consider the one you've suggested. Saved me from a compatibility issue and yes my notebook has an AMD Ryzen 5000 Series processor.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.