Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 13-4195nr N3Y37UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade the SSD on this computer. The OEM drive is a Samsung  MZNTE512HMJH-000H1 which is a M.2 2280 Sata 512GB drive. I want to upgrade to a 1TB drive, either a Samsung 850 EVO Sata M.2 drive or a 960 EVO NVMe M.2 drive.

However, I have not been able to confirm if this Skylake computer will accept the NVMe M.2 SSD which would offer much faster read/write speeds. Searching this forum has not given me a definitive answer,

Can I use a NVMe M.2 2280 drive on this computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

As you can see on page 2 of service manual,  the computer will accept M2 PCIe drive.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04807803

Hope it helps, 

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

As you can see on page 2 of service manual,  the computer will accept M2 PCIe drive.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04807803

Hope it helps, 

David

HP Recommended

Thank you David for your reply and clarification.. I did not have the service manual for my x360. It is now clear that PCIe/NVMe SSD drives are supported on my laptop. Now to figure out which drive I can afford...

HP Recommended

Your welcome. The drive will greatly increase performance of the PC.

Let me know if you need any further help. I would also prepare for installation of new system while you still have old drive in PC. I saw that there are also external housing available which you could use to have a fast external drive, maybe for backup.

All the best, 

David

HP Recommended

@iomare wrote:

Your welcome. The drive will greatly increase performance of the PC.

Let me know if you need any further help. I would also prepare for installation of new system while you still have old drive in PC. I saw that there are also external housing available which you could use to have a fast external drive, maybe for backup.

All the best, 

David

Thanks David for helping me. Perhaps you might have some insight to another question regarding my SSD upgrade. My understanding is that if I upgrade to another m.2 sata drive (850 evo m.2 1tb) that I could simply create a windows system image of my existing drive on an external usb drive, install the 850 Evo, and then use bootable win10 install media to restore the image to the new SSD.

If I have this straight, if I purchased the PCIe/NVMe drive (960 evo NVMe M.2 1tb) my understanding is that this drive would not be recognized by the Win 10 boot media due to no NVMe drivers being present and I would not be able to restore my drive image. I'm guessing that Clonezilla would not be able to see this drive to do the restore process either. 

Is there a way to add NVMe drivers on my boot media so I can restore a drive image instead of having to do a clean install of Windows 10 on the PCIe SSD or do need to get an external enclosure for the PCIe drive to do the image restore?

Thanks,

Brad

HP Recommended

Hi, did you happen to purchase the 1tb ssd and did it work for your 4195 nr?  I'm in the same boat as you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.