Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 au027na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The information from the online manual i have for my Pavillion 15 au027na says that it does not work with an external microphone via the headphones.  I not only would like to use an external mike, I also want to digitise some old audio tapes and vinyl.  if I buy a usb microphone would that work or would I be wasting my money?  Would an audio interface solve one or both of my siisues?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@NeilTN May I ask where you got the information that an external microphone wouldn't work? please share the link or a picture of the same!

That said, as per the product specifications listed below, your device should support and work with an external microphone:

If you need help with connecting a microphone: click here to troubleshoot

As for Vinyls and Audio tapes connection to the device, I'm afraid HP does not support that, you may want to check with a local tech for support, to be on a safer side.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I struggled to find the right manual and was going by the Pavillion au 100 user guide which was a bit unclear and discouraging.  Thanks for the reassurance.  That was what I was looking for before going ahead and buying a usb mic.  I'm inclined to think an audio interface would permit me to use Audacity to record music from other devices. 

Does anyone else have advice?

HP Recommended

@NeilTN

Thank you for posting back. 

To get the answer to this question, yes you can add external USB mic or podcast. It's just a plug and play device and your Windows OS will install necessary driver. 

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Having bought a usb microphone, set it up and plugged it in, the laptop still uses the internal picrophone and when I go into either sound input or recording devices both only show th 2 options that have been there all along Realtek microphone array and Realtek Stereo Mix...  (following your troubleshooter link got me no further as I don't seem to be able to access Windows device Manager, only settings.  Am I overlooking something?)

HP Recommended

@NeilTN Windows has its own default audio devices that may need to be adjusted before you are able to use your microphone. To adjust your sound preferences on Windows, open the Start Menu and type Audio. After this, click on Manage audio devices.

Once on the audio devices window, click on the Recording tab. In here, find the microphone you’d like to use, then right click it. First, ensure that it says Disable as an option. If not, click to Enable it.

If you don’t see your microphone here, you could also click Show Disabled Devices to make sure it hasn’t been hidden from sight. Once again, you must right click the microphone and choose enable if it does appear as an enabled device.

If given the option, you should also click to ‘Set as default device after right clicking the microphone. If it is already the default, you’ll see a green tick and the Default Device line.

Keep me posted

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.