Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 15 - BS028CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I use my laptop at my desk at home mainly and can leave it plugged in.  My question:  Will leaving a fully charged laptop harm the battery?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey rk,

This shouldn't harm your battery. After the battery is fully charged, but still plugged-in, the power no longer goes to the battery, it bypasses it. So no harm will be done to your battery.

The only factor that could change that is if your laptop gets hot when it is plugged in and sleeping. A hot environment will make your battery detiorate faster.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hey rk,

This shouldn't harm your battery. After the battery is fully charged, but still plugged-in, the power no longer goes to the battery, it bypasses it. So no harm will be done to your battery.

The only factor that could change that is if your laptop gets hot when it is plugged in and sleeping. A hot environment will make your battery detiorate faster.

HP Recommended

Hi @rk24 Swatantra here.

Welcome to the HP forums.

There are two main type of battery used in laptops: lithium-ion and lithium-polymer. Although they are different technologies, they function in broadly the same way, with power being created by the movement of electrons. This flow also helps to keep the battery healthy.

• A battery cannot be overcharged. There’s no danger of a battery being overcharged if you leave it plugged in all the time. As soon as it hits 100%, it will cease charging and won’t start again until the voltage falls below a certain level.
  • Fully discharging a battery will damage it. Having a battery fully discharged for an extended period can put it into a deep discharge state, from which it might never recover..

Leaving your laptop plugged in will not cause short term damage, but if you only ever use it on AC power you’ll almost certainly find that after a year the battery’s capacity has been significantly reduced. Similarly, if you only ever use it on battery power you’ll get through the battery’s discharge cycles quicker.

So, the best solution is something of a compromise between the two: use it on battery power some days, and keep it plugged in on others. And in all cases, you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t get too hot.

Hope your issue will be resolved.

Happy to help.

-Swatantra
HP Support

I work for HP. I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.