Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-7943cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion dv6-7043cl, after Win 10 Anniversary Update, now halts with "...has stopped working..." message consistently when I execute Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12;  the halt and message happen right when the app starts, at the "Welcome" screen.  It renders the app totally useless -  and 5 sessions with Microsoft support, 2 of them with level 2 technicians, have failed to find the answer after more than 12 hours of chat and numerous reinstalls of Win 10 and Movie Studio Platinum 12, among other sophisticated measures that were tried and failed.  The program worked perfectly before the big Anniversary update, which is the only difference I can find that could explain the new halt and error message.  Magix Support (which took over the Sony Vegas line of software recently) reports that they haven't been able to replicate the problem, but have received a report of someone havaing to reinstall an earlier version of Windows 10 (before the Anniversary version) to solve an installation problem with Movie Studio Platinum.  Microsoft promised to help with the reinstallation of the earlier version of Win 10, for which I have no checkpoint, so I do not yet know if this will help.   Question:   It would help if I heard from anyone else getting the same problem with Movie Studio Platinum 12 and the Win 10 Anniversary Update (the latest after about Sept 12.)  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

While not being a HP Pc user (I am on a Sony Vaio) I am getting the same problem after the big W10 Update (from 2 or 3 days ago)

I have 3 versions of Movie Studio Platinum the version 10, the version 12(32bits) and the version 12(64bits).

None of them work anymore, they all freeze at start up.

I uninstalled/reinstalled without any success.

I found an old post (september 2015) in a forum related to similar issue with Sony Vegas.

The guy was telling he was abble to start it when Windows was operating in pure "safe mode".

So I tried it and it worked in my case for Movie Studio.

May be you can try it and report what happened.

This being said, using Movie Studio in "safe mode" is just a way of testing and cannot be the way of operating.

I hope someone can bring soon a solution, If not I will have one more reason (!) to go back to Windows 7.

My confidence in Microsoft has droped with Windows10 (versus W7) and the way things are now pushed and forced to the customer.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

While not being a HP Pc user (I am on a Sony Vaio) I am getting the same problem after the big W10 Update (from 2 or 3 days ago)

I have 3 versions of Movie Studio Platinum the version 10, the version 12(32bits) and the version 12(64bits).

None of them work anymore, they all freeze at start up.

I uninstalled/reinstalled without any success.

I found an old post (september 2015) in a forum related to similar issue with Sony Vegas.

The guy was telling he was abble to start it when Windows was operating in pure "safe mode".

So I tried it and it worked in my case for Movie Studio.

May be you can try it and report what happened.

This being said, using Movie Studio in "safe mode" is just a way of testing and cannot be the way of operating.

I hope someone can bring soon a solution, If not I will have one more reason (!) to go back to Windows 7.

My confidence in Microsoft has droped with Windows10 (versus W7) and the way things are now pushed and forced to the customer.

HP Recommended

Last News

I just got a new windows update (important one if I relate to the wait time and percent achievement progress)...

Just for fun, I restarted Windows, tried again starting Movie Studio and beleive it or not:

IT WORKS !

my 3 releases of Movie Studio are back.working.

Cannot understand why MS is so stressed to release stuff and then pushed to repare damages in a hurry...they really need to step back and think.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Alain38330!!  Yes, it worked for me, as well!  In fact, after I got it working in Safe Mode without the "Movie Studio Platinumb has stopped working..." error message and halt, I used it for a few steps to be sure it wasn't just lying in wait for me to do something before crashing again.  It didn't crash, but I was unable to do anything useful because the Safe Mode inhibited access to my files on external drives.  But there is good news -- when I rebooted back into the normal (non-"safe mode") Win 10 mode, Movie Studio Platinum 12 now continued to work without the hang-up!  

Just the act of using it in Save Mode apparently made a permanent change somewhere that corrected the problem in subsequent Win 10 sessions! 

For the benefit of readers who don't know how to get into "Safe Mode" in Windows 10 (it's not as simple as it was in Windows 7 and earlier versions),  here are the steps I had to use to get there:

1.   In Windows 10, click on the Windows Icon at tne extreme lower left of the screen.

2.   Click on the icon for "Settings" (it looks like a gear wheel).

3.   Click on the "Update & Security" option.

4.   Choose "Recovery."

5.   Use "Advanced Startup" -  Click on "Restart Now" button.  This brings up the "Choose an Option" screen.

6.   Choose "Troubleshoot."

7.   Choose "Advanced Options."

8.   Choose the "gear wheel" icon labelled, "Startup Settings."

9.   Choose "Enable Safe Mode."

10. Choose "Restart."  This time it finally restarts!

11.  VERY IMPORTANT! Do NOT press the "ESC" key when the Message appears urging you to press it for the startup menu.  If you do so, you will lose all the steps you have taken above and you will not get the "Safe Mode" option!  Just be paient and wait!

12.  You will get an advanced "Startup Settings" menu, with the Safe Mode options included as numbered options 4), 5), and 6).  Pick the one you want (I used "5" to get the option  of Safe Mode with Internet available), and use your keyboard to type the number of your choice.   Finally, you will be opened in the Safe Mode of your choice. 

If anyone knows of a way to get to "Safe Mode" with fewer steps, I would be interested in hearing of it!  I sincerely hope Microsoft simplifies this procedure back to how it was for Windows 7 and earlier!

Cordially, Oliver Dean

HP Recommended

The lengthy post I made earlier referred to my attempt to get Movie Studio Platinum 12 to operate in Safe Mode, which I may have done just after the Windows 10 update you refer to.  If the update was actually responsible for the cure,  all the Safe Mode stuff I referred to may be unnecessary!  Thanks for keeping us up to date!

HP Recommended

Regaring your comment about Microsoft, I can only make a guess from my standpoint as a retired COBOL programmer.   Testing new software is lenghty and complicated, especially when looking for possible glitches in all the myriad ways that the new software may be used.  Add to this the number of differend computer configurations and multi-tasked apps that may be running at the same time, and the job of of predicting hang-ups reliably becomes nearly impossible.  Although they haven't emphasized this in their advertising for Win 10, the versions we are now using are actually Beta test versions, hence the "free" downloads.   In a way, this may be clever, because now Microsoft has zillions of people trying out the software and automatically reporting their problems,  to which Microsoft pesumably can apply some sort of "triage" philosophy and put their greatest efforts into solving problems that crop up the most often.   When the final official release of Windows 10 comes out, they will be past the monumental Beta Testing phase and will be able to release (and charge for!) an oprating sysgem that may be relatively bug-free for most people.  The only things this system may be weak in correcting are parts of the sysem that  are really inconvenient or clumsy, and which are not automatically reported (like the Chinese Puzzle for getting into Safe Mode or for finding what used to be n the Conrol Panel.)

So far, I have been impresssed with Microsoft's response to my Case in their support chats.   The update to Windows 10 you speak of may have been partially due to the chats I had with them.   If so, it was a quick response!

Good luck with whatever you are doing -- and thanks again for your help!

Cordially, Olvier Dean

HP Recommended

Alain reports that the problem has been solverd by the latest Microsoft update to Windows 10.  This solution would appear to supersede all the others reported earlier. 

HP Recommended

Hi Olivier, Bonjour

Late answer, I was fishing somewhere…

I am too a former Algol, Cobol, and even assembler programmer, from 1401, 7044, 360, 370 series and some more, and I have been directing a lot of big projects in "software development", signing big contracts with MS.

My point is not to tell programming is easy…(on my old days I went back for fun to Visual Basic so I often measure the difficulty of releasing a bug-free piece of soft).

I just have a problem with MS when I get a message telling me that my configuration is FULLY compatible with the last very marvelous Windows…when in fact it was neither "Fully" nor "Reliable" in the sense that once "it works" you could not conclude that to-morrow will be ok.

I would have preferred a more realistic approach, the one we have been using when we were coding

Remember:

GoTo GO_BACK , GO_ON depending on TEST

BACK

Step Back from this release

Go to END

GO_ON

Confirm release

END

…which is quite different from "if at this date you have not moved to W10, then you will have to pay"

This being said I confirm my Movie Studio are still working today. In a way or another MS (not me) has solved quickly this issue…

It was a pleasure to read another "Veteran"

Très cordialement

Alain

HP Recommended

I found something interesting regarding may be the cause of this problem.

Even NOW, everything working well,

• when I start Windows 10 and
  • as soon as my "desktop" is showing up I start Movie Studio, then
  • I fall down the exact previous issue: Movie Studio freeze exactly at the same place.

No way then to continue, I have to reboot the computer or to cleanup with the TaskManager the Movie Studio task AND the Movie Studio background process.

If I wait a few minutes after W10 startup then everything goes well.

One could think that one or several "services" are not yet running when starting Movie Studio (currently because of slow automatic startup or differed startup and previously because of missing service or stopped service).

If this is true, it would be nice to know the involved service(s) as the Windows updates seem time to time to be "playing" with the computer setup.

If someone has an idea…? Thanks

HP Recommended

As a last remark regarding my comment over MS.

2 days ago, I got again a big update for W10 and I installed it.

Result: Movie Studio again freezing.

Yesterday I found a new update again...I proceed the update...Movie Studio BACK WORKING.

When a mistake is repeated it becomes a fault. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.