Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario SR1913WM
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

No Windows 10 install method has worked on my Compaq Presario SR1913WM.

My first attempt/preferred method was a clean Win10 32-bit install from ISO burnt to DVD-R (since the SR1913WM's USB ports are not recognized by any Win10 install method [hence I attach a PS/2 keyboard to install]):

With "Custom" (aka clean) install I get the error
"We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load driver"
but when I then select a DVD-R folder full of all the "Vista" driver EXE files for the SR1913WM, (which I figured were a better choice than the only other option, XP drivers) I get the error message "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, then click OK." (whether or not I check "Hide drivers that aren't compatible with this computer's hardware.").

(Is there a way to get the actual driver INF file out of the EXE?  Running them didn't extract any files [whichI could find, anyway], and the old 'change the extension to ZIP' trick didn't work either.)

With the "Keep personal files and apps" install, it told me to run setup from the inside 8.1, however that also results in an error message whether from the DVD-R or the Win10 Upgrade Microsoft's popup *offered* (I hear that's a good sign) in the OS, specifically either:
1.  "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."
(If I opt to "Keep my files")  or,
2.  "There was a problem resetting your PC."
(If I opt to "Remove everything")

Any help, **please**?  Or is this PC stuck on 8.1?

Compaq Presario SR1913WM Specs

(I believe my option to upgrade to Win10 for free expires in 21 days.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry that your latest attempts to install W10 were not successful.

You can't say you didn't give it your best shot!

You will never have to say 'I wonder if...'  You tried every trick in the book.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have zipped up and attached the sata ide and sata raid drivers for the chipset your PC has below, since I don't know if your BIOS's drive controller is set to IDE or RAID.

Even if you get this to work, is there a way you can activate windows without a W10 product key, or by using the W8.1 key?

Because all upgrades I have done had to be done from the windows desktop when using a DVD.

Once the PC is upgraded to W10 and activated, then you can do a clean install by selecting the I don't have a product key' option when you go to install W10.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

I have zipped up and attached the sata ide and sata raid drivers for the chipset your PC has below, since I don't know if your BIOS's drive controller is set to IDE or RAID.

Even if you get this to work, is there a way you can activate windows without a W10 product key, or by using the W8.1 key?

Because all upgrades I have done had to be done from the windows desktop when using a DVD.

Once the PC is upgraded to W10 and activated, then you can do a clean install by selecting the I don't have a product key' option when you go to install W10.

I don't see a RAID selection in my BIOS (I'm using the most-current 3.11 BIOS).  The closest BIOS setting I see is "Local Bus IDE Adapter" which is set to "Both" (Disabled|Primary|Secondary|Both).  So I guess I should try the IDE drivers first?

In any case, thank you VERY much, Paul!!

I'll give it a try and report back ASAP.

As I understand it, Win10 will activate with a Win7 or 8 product key until 7/29/16, and thereafter if done by 7/29/16 under digital entitlement.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Probably the drive controller is set to IDE then.

Hopefully you are right about the product keys from W7/W8.1 working.

Mine all say digital entitlement.

HP Recommended

The drivers all resulted in the same "We couldn't find any drives" error message, unfortunately.  (Incidentally the IDE ones were the only ones visible if I checked the "Hide drivers that aren't compatible with this computer's hardware." box.)

I've searched the hard drive in the Win8.1 OS (which includes a Windows.old folder) but find no INF files there that begin with NVSTOR*

Any other drivers I could try please, Paul?  

(I very  much want to be able to use Win10, but is it time for me to resign myself to the SR1913WM topping out with Win8.1?)

As for W7/W8.1 keys working...I'd heard that they would as long as I do the free upgrade by the July 29, 2016 deadline; I'd heard/read that the entitlement is for the life of the PC.  To confirm it I inquired about specifics and got a fully reassuring forum answser from a Microsoft MVP:

"When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will g...

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It w...

So, there is no need to know or get a product key, if you need to reinstall Windows 10, you can use ..."

HP Recommended

The drivers all resulted in the same "We couldn't find any drives" error message, unfortunately.  (Incidentally the IDE ones were the only ones visible if I checked the "Hide drivers that aren't compatible with this computer's hardware." box.)

I've searched the hard drive in the Win8.1 OS (which includes a Windows.old folder) but find no INF files there that begin with NVSTOR*

Any other drivers I could try please, Paul?  

(I very  much want to be able to use Win10, but is it time for me to resign myself to my SR1913WM topping out with Win8.1?)

As for W7/W8.1 keys working...I'd heard that they would as long as I do the free upgrade by the July 29, 2016 deadline; I'd heard/read that the entitlement is for the life of the PC.  To confirm it I inquired about specifics and got a fully reassuring answser from a Microsoft MVP:

"When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will ...

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It w...

So, there is no need to know or get a product key, if you need to reinstall Windows 10, you can use ...

HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there aren't any other drivers that I know of, and I don't have any other suggestions for you to try since you already tried installing from a DVD from windows desktop, the W10 auto update method, and the clean install with negative results.

HP Recommended

Thank you VERY much, Paul, I deeply appreciate your help!  This meant a lot to me and I wanted to make it happen if I could. 

I'll google Win10 + the mobo and see if I can find any tricks anyone found that worked...I'll report back here soon on my results.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I've googled a guy who got Win10 32-bit installed with my same mobo!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/win-10-will-not-boot-up-with-acti...

I think I'll try it; since it looks a bit tricky I wonder if anyone has any thoughs.

The guy's solution entails installing with the boot HDD atached via a SATA/IDE adapter (which is what the ODD's on both my PCs are now attached with, so I've got one to borrow, and expect it'll work since the ODD worked on this adapter during my Win10 install attempts).

Once Win10 is installed, the guy attached the boot HDD via SATA and told the BIOS to boot to it.

Other things he said he needed to do for install:

Pull GPU and configure BIOS to use onboard video (which will mean I'll also attach a different display which it can support).

"Disable" "USB Legacy Mode Support" in BIOS (it has been set to "Auto"). If I understand correctly modern OS' should need it anyway.

After install, naturally I'll install mobo drivers from HP site, and my GPU.

Thank goodness there's still 16 days before the free Win10 upgrade offer expires, I might need 16 days.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.