Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j051ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having just upgraded my Windows 10 Pro (64bit) to the Creators Update the Backlight on the Keyboard no longer remembers its status between boots. It is always off on boot. Prior to the update it was always on (old and blind so I need it!). I can switch it on using fn+f5 every time but would prefer it to be on after a reboot. I'm guessing there is some power setting somewhere but any help on Windows 10 Keyboard Backlight settings please. Apart from the strange keyboard backlight behaviour everything else works fine. Thanks, Paul. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The latest Windows 10, version 1709 (also known as the Fall Creators Update) update has fixed this isuue which the previous update broke!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Greetings @AncientUserHP,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you need to enable the backlight on your computer everytime you restart your computer, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

If you press any key on the keyboard does the backlight come up?

Usually, the backlight gets off if you do not use or press any key on the keyboard. 

When you press any key on the keyboard the backlight should automatically come up. 

If the backlight is not lighting up when you press any key, recommend you to open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button. 

Uninstall the keyboard driver in device manager, delete the driver when prompted during uninstall. 

Restart your computer couple times and run HP Support Assistant to update the drivers on your computer. Click here

Let me know if this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't help ...

The only way to turn on the backlight is to use the function key fn+f5.

I uninstalled the keyboard driver but it always reinstalls on restart. "Standard PS/2 Keyboard". The Windows 10 Creators Update resulted in the driver "Device Migrated" and the laptop no longer remembers the status of the backlight requiring me to turn it on every time I reboot.

The HP Support Assistant does not find anything.

Note it had worked perfectly since I bought the laptop new. It appears that the Windows 10 Creators Update has changed or doesn't recognise something.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. When you press any key on the keyboard does the backlight respond or do you need to activate it by press Fn + F5?

Recommend you boot the computer to BIOS by tapping F10 repeatedly during startup. 

Restore BIOS to defaults, save the settings and exit BIOS and check. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, the backlight only works (by design) by pressing Fn+F5. It has never worked by pressing any key.

I have restored the BIOS to default (did not solve the problem). I then took it one stage further by updating the BIOS to F69 (was on F67).

The problem persists. upgrading to Windows 10 Creators Update has caused the keyboard backlight to turn off after a reboot. Behaviour before the Windows 10 Creators Update was it remained on after a reboot.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying all the troubleshooting steps. I have brought your concern to a team within HP  and request you give me 4-5 business days and will update you on this issue. 

Will keep you posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Greetings @AncientUserHP,

Thanks for being patient. Request you open Mobility Center on your computer by doing a right-click on the Windows button and change the keyboard backlight settings there. 

If the issue persists, please provide the screenshot of the mobility center on your computer. 

Let me know if this helped.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, there is no HP Keyboard (or any keyboard for that matter) plug-in in the Windows Mobility Center.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, would it be possible for you to share a screenshot of the mobility center so that I can pass on the information to the concerned team. 

Keep me posted.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mobility Center.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.