Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-G133cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I receive a similar error again on our HP Pavilion Notebooks with AMD CPU when updating to Windows 10 Creator update as last time when updating to Windows 10. Our office has a few of the 17-G133cl notebook computers and all of them display the same error message: We couldn't install Windows 10 - 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 - The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation. Which is similar to the error displayed during the initial Windows 10 update except that the error shown was 0x1900101 - 0x20000. Back then a BIOS update that became available that fixed the issue. We check for a new BIOS, but all notebooks have the latest BIOS already installed v. F.41 from 9/19/2016. All other systems including other none HP AMD computers upgraded just fine. Any ideas what could cause this issue with that type of system?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm happy to report the Crators update worked without any issues after updating the BIOS to F.45 on a Pavilion 17-G133cl and 17-G121wm notebook.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, exactly the same, with my HP 15-ab153nr laptop. Any help?

HP Recommended

Same here with my 15-ak112nl. I'm upgrading an education version of Windows 10.

I tried a bunch of things, including uninstalling antivirus, wireless and bt card and audio card but nothing. I tried installing from different media also, still nothing. All is updated, I don't think that's the cause.

Any help is appreciated. Cheers

HP Recommended
I had some time this morning to troubleshoot this error. First I made a USB install disk and install it from this disk. No luck, same error appears. So I did a search in online forums around the net. One suggestion was removing the wireless and bluetooth card, DVD drive and any additional memory that was added later on. And make sure that you also remove the bluetooth and wireless card drivers. So I opened one of the notebooks and physically removed the WiFi / Bluetooth card, the additional memory and the DVD drive. Next was another try, but no luck either. The same error 0xC1900101 - 0x20017 in SAFE_OS phase during BOOT appears again. I guess some people had more luck with this suggested fix, but for me nothing so far works. Next I will try to install Windows 10 from scratch onto a new SSD from another computer and move the disk to this notebook to see if that will work...
HP Recommended

Apparently HP is aware of this problem and it has to do with the TPM (chip). Disabling it in the BIOS should help. I'll try this later today. Here is the link to the forum message about the TPM issue:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Can-t-install-Windows-Creator-u...

HP Recommended

I tried to update with the TPM hidden from BIOS, but the same error happened again. Some of the guys in the discussion that you linked have managed to clean install windows but not to update so it was kinda expected. I guess I'll wait for a solution from HP in order to keep apps and files.

HP Recommended

I just wonder if HP will have to provide a BIOS update???

HP Recommended
I think so. It looks like there is an address conflict between the TPM module and Ethernet card. Probably caused by the way Windows 10 is accessing the TPM information. I know that in Creators update they changed how Windows is using the TPM information.
HP Recommended

Any new info on installing the Creator Update? Still doesn't work for me, on my HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab153nr.

HP Recommended

I received a BIOS update (F.83 A) on my Pavilion Gaming 15-ak112nl, but the update still doesn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.