Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
8560w and 6460b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I understand that Windows 10 Pro is not a supported OS for these machines.  However, I've been able to install it and everything is working fine with the exception of the WLAN, unless I use an external dongle (which I'd prefer not to do).  Each of these has the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 card (631954-001  OG).

Ideally, I'd like to find drivers but would also be good if I could find a replacement that would have Win10 Pro drivers available.  I'm asking the community as I've read that HP whitelists these and I don't have any idea where to find that information.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP does not provide any info on what models have BIOS whitelists, but based on information we have learned from others who tried to upgrade wifi adapters in any HP notebook made in 2011 or earlier (such as yours), it has a BIOS whitelist.

Did you try the W10 driver for the Intel 6205 wifi adapter from the Microsoft update catalog?

Either of the first two.

Microsoft Update Catalog

If neither of those drivers work, you will have to resort to using a dual band USB wifi adapter.

They actually make a pretty small dual band wifi adapter that also comes with Bluetooth.

Amazon.com: USB WiFi Bluetooth Adapter, 600Mbps Dual Band 2.4/5Ghz Wireless Network External Receive...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.