Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-g133cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried updating Windows 10 version 1607 (build 14393.1198) to Windows Creator and I get a message that the Bios needs to be upgraded before it can upgrade to Windows 10. HP Support Assistant tells me that there are no updates available, that my HP Pavilion is up to date. Any idea when HP will have a compatible BIOS update available?

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP issued a BIOS update about 3 days ago that fixes this. Check your model and you should see a new BIOS very recently issued. 

I guess it is hard for us that do not actually work in the highly technical end of the industry to appreciate how hard it is to write something like an operating system that is compatible with all the hardware in the field. Sometime issues have to be uncovered after launch and then fixed. I never thought this was going to be a problem for very long. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is the latest update for your Bios:

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (AMD Processors)

system software Manager Icon
F.43 Rev.A9.4 MBApr 20, 2017

You can get from here:

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-17-g100-notebook-pc-series-touch/850266...

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Per your information I updated the BIOS with the latest version, but the Windows Creator update still failed to install. Here is the message:

Capture.JPG

HP Recommended

Hi,

Many times this indicates that there is an application insstalled which is causing problems.

-Remove antivirus completely (you can reinstall later)

-Remove any non-essential applications (or ones you can easily reinstall)

-Update the computer and all programs and drivers (windows update)

-Remove any unnecessary peripherals from the computer (usb drives, external screens etc...)

-Download the media creation tool from Microsoft and launch and choose upgrade now.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

This is a known issue. No computers with the AMD A10-8700p processor, HP or otherwise, can do the Creators Update right now. It is a Microsoft/AMD issue and no amount of driver or BIOS updates or reinstalls of the Creators update will help. 

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-creators-upd...

It will get fixed, I assume but HP can't do it, has to be Microsoft and AMD. 

HP Recommended

I did find the HP page that lists the laptops that have been tested with Win Creator and mine is not among them. Then I noticed other posts around the interwebs from users of AMD driven laptops who are also experiencing install problems. I came to the conclusion that as you say it is an AMD/MS issue that remains to be addressed. Thank you for your input. I'll just have to be patient and see if this ultimately gets resolved at higher headquarters. It would be nice if there was some conspicuous notification from either AMD, MS or HP that there were ongoing issues and if or when there would be a resolution.

HP Recommended

Yeah I have the same AMD A10 8700P processor. And I've had the same problems installing Windows 10 1703. I blame Microsoft fully for this more than AMD or HP.  This is ridiculous that they would do this to a certain processor. I spent a lot of money on this laptop now only to see it be a dead end laptop that can longer be upgraded until Microsoft fixes this issue. That's if they choose to fix the issue. I will never ever buy another PC with an AMD processor. From now on  it will be Intel processors in future computer purchases. As to where I stay with HP for my next computer purchase. I'm also reevaluating that decision too.

HP Recommended

HP issued a BIOS update about 3 days ago that fixes this. Check your model and you should see a new BIOS very recently issued. 

I guess it is hard for us that do not actually work in the highly technical end of the industry to appreciate how hard it is to write something like an operating system that is compatible with all the hardware in the field. Sometime issues have to be uncovered after launch and then fixed. I never thought this was going to be a problem for very long. 

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

SUCCESS! I'm not going to lie, I was more than a bit skeptical that yet another BIOS update would allow me to upgrade Win 10 to Win 10 Creator on my HP AMD A10 powered machine. I had updated the BIOS last week from F.41 to F.43 and the Creator install failed again. However, I took your advice and updated the BIOS to F.45, reran the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, went out the door to run some errands and was more than pleasantly surprised to see that Win 10, ver 1703 had successfully installed.  At this point the weak link in the chain seems to be the HP Support Assistant software that I use to inform me of new driver updates. I had checked it this morning and it said that my PC was up to date, but after seeing your comment I searched the HP Drivers web page for my laptop and saw the new BIOS update listed as you said. Had you not brought that to my attention I would still be waiting for a notification. Thanks for you diligence and timely information. Beer's on me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.