Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp envy 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I press 'setup' for windows hello fingerprint it tells me to type my PIN, I do that then it tells me to scan my fingerprint, but the second I put my finger to the scanner it says "Sorry, something went wrong try closing windows hello and go through the setup again". Obviously closing windows hello didn't work. I tried deleting the biometrics driver and getting a newer on already. I also tried resetting my laptop none of which worked. 

Is there anything else that could fix my issue? Please Help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@98761 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to set up the fingerprint.

Do not worry. Please try to create the new account and check for the issue.

•  Go to Settings and click on the Account icon.
  • In your account click Sign in with a local account instead.
  • You’ll be asked to enter the current password. Now click on Next.
  • Set your user name, the password for your local account. After doing that, click on Next
  • Now click on Sign out and finish.

In addition, you can try creating a new account and setting up the fingerprint scanner for it. After that just delete the new account and switch back to the old one.

If the fingerprint doesn’t work in Windows 10, the problem might be the HP Support Assistant application. If you have this application on your PC, be sure to update it to the latest version.

You can do that simply by running the application and choosing the update option or you can download the latest version from HP’s website. After the application is updated, restart your PC and the fingerprint reader will start working again.

Please try to remove the pin and recreate the pin and check for the issue.

If the issue still persists, please update the BIOS You have to enter the correct model number to download the drivers.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi, I tried these things with an HP live chat agent and they didn't work, Thanks for trying!

HP Recommended

@98761

Thank you for the update.

First, one needs to verify that the machine has the required scanner. The scanner is usually already installed in Device Manager, but not recognized anywhere else. So, to check that the device is the correct one for this process to work, its ID should be checked in Device Manager. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click on the Start button and type “Device Manager” and ENTER. This should launch the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Biometric devices. You should now see an entry for the Validity Sensor (It sometimes has additional descriptions, but all we need is to ID the VALIDITY device).
  3. Double-click on the VALIDITY device to open its’ Properties
  4. Click on the Details tab and select Hardware Ids in the Property entry box.
  5. If the device can be ‘fixed’ with the process detailed below, it will have a Hardware ID of USB\VID_138A&PID_0007
  6. You can now close all open windows until you are back at the desktop.
  7. Nothing has been changed yet, BUT…if the Hardware ID matches the entry above, you are ‘good to go’ in performing the procedures below!

Hopefully, the Hardware ID will match on your machine and you can now proceed with the actual download and upgrade procedures as detailed in the following stages:

Stage 1 - Download

1. First, we need to get the correct driver for Windows 10. This can be found at http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=VFS451
  2. Either of the drivers with a Version 4.5.124.0 will do the trick, so click on the ADD button beside one of them, then click on view basket (1) which will be just below the SEARCH box at the upper right of the window.
  3. This takes you to your basket and you will see the entry for the file you added earlier. Now click on the Download button to the upper right of the selection information.
  4. This opens a Download Options window so you can browse for a local folder to download the file into. Click on the Browse button, then click on the Yes button in the UAC warning window that opens.
  5. In the Browse For Folder window that has just opened, click on the This PC entry and then on the C: drive entry.
  6. Now click on the Make New Folder button and then type in Validity as the new folder name and click on the OK button.
  7. The folder name C:\Validity should now show in the Folder: box in the Download Options If it does, click on the Continue button.
  8. Wait until the Download Progress window shows that the download is finished, then click on the Close button to finish the download process.

Now we have to ‘unpack’ the files we need because the download you have just received is a.CAB file and we need the actual files it contains. The easiest way to do this is by using a program like 7-zip to unpack the files. 7-zip is a free download available at:

http://7-zip.org/download.html

The following steps are completed using an installed version of 7-zip, but any other program capable of unpacking a.CAB file may be used.

Stage 2 – Unpacking

1. Open File Explorer and browse to the folder we downloaded our new driver package to (C:\Validity).
  2. Double-click on the Validity Sensors, Inc. driver update for Validity Sensors (WBF) VFS451 folder and you will see a Cabinet File (,cab) named IA64_AMD64_X86-all-200000601_40fd10f76e19e2f6715ed8c55e103fc38f3e8f28. This is the file we need to unpack.
  3. Using 7-zip, we can easily unpack this file by doing a ‘right-click’ on the file name, selecting 7-zip from the drop-down menu and from the 7-zip menu, select ‘Extract Files…’.
  4. This will open a 7-zip ‘Extract’ window. Now we need to tell 7-zip where we want the files extracted to.
  5. In the ‘Extract to:’ box, type: “C:\Validity\Unpacked” (without the quotes) and then click on the OK button.
  6. Our driver files are now unpacked and ready for installation.

Stage 3 – Installing

1. Click on the Start button and type “Device Manager” and ENTER. This should launch the Device Manager.
  2. Expand the Biometric devices You should now see an entry for the Validity Sensor (It sometimes has additional descriptions, but all we need is to be sure it is the VALIDITY device).
  3. Double-click on the VALIDITY device to open its’ Properties
  4. Click on the Driver tab, then on the “Update Driver” button.
  5. Select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
  6. Now select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  7. In the new window, click on the “Have Disk..” button.
  8. In the window that opens now, click on the “Browse...” button and browse to the C:\Validity\unpacked folder and click on the “wbf_vfs451” file, then click on the “Open” button.
  9. Now, in the Install From Disk window, click on the OK button.
  10. In the current window, click on the “Next” button.
  11. After the driver is installed, you will be told that “Windows has successfully updated your driver software” and you can now click on the Close button.
  12. Finally, you can close the Validity Properties window, then close Device Manager and reboot the machine to implement the new driver.

Once your machine is restarted, you can go to Settings – Accounts – Sign-in options and you should see a selection area for “Windows Hello” in which you can set up your fingerprints. No other software is required, but on some machines, you may have to set a PIN first to activate Windows Hello.

Note: The above link is 3rd party and is not owned by HP, I've posted this only so that I may help you resolve this issue by going beyond my support boundaries, please ignore the ads and take only the free suggestions

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.