Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp 8760w i7 2670 qm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, every1,

I hope you can help me with this issue, I ve bought an old laptop with a cpu i7 2670 qm. I hold two cpu of two unrepaired laptop and tryied several time to install to 8760w Hp this 2 cpu with any success.

i7 2670 qm is a 45 w, like i7 3610 qm. Just the 3632 qm is 35w.

Any case , I installed both cpu and evertyme I did't get any boot when was mounted the new cpu. but When i returned to old one everything was fine.

I upgraded also the bios from 2012 till 2018, no effect at all.

I installed in a new installation windows 10.

To update bios, I had to install in a different hard drive windows 8.1 , the last version windows recognized for updating from hp. Should I try to install new cpu with windows 8.1?

thank you for you attetion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only install second generation core processors in that model.

The 8770w takes the Intel 3rd gen processors.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can only install second generation core processors in that model.

The 8770w takes the Intel 3rd gen processors.

HP Recommended

So, if I will buy an old motherboard 8770 w I sould be able to install i 7, eventually? from china? 

in any case I should buy at least a 3740/3820 those are the most economic laptop full hd in 

Thank you for your help, now it's working better with new installation os , anyway great machine

HP Recommended

I have no idea if the 8770w motherboard will fit in the 8670 case.  I doubt it will.

I think you should just buy a used but tested and working 8770w and be done with it.

Just make sure you never buy any HP business notebook with a BIOS password on it because HP will no longer give you the file to reset the password.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your support.

Since my complete restoration , the laptop seems returned to life, no more frozing block time of some application during middle session of work, it seems too fast to use two deskopt page anyway everything now it's complete satisfing. ( I had some problem and so had to erase all ssd )

Just for information : 

Hp 8770w has an excellent configuration for a old laptop, it seems too good for the current use, with i7 3820/3840!

HP Recommended

I could buy a new one at the same price but  I didnt trust to this seller , so asked to an other for the same  price I paid  it's still worth , I should work with pc so it gives me relax with pc  now and so better ratio roi.  One week I can take a new one ,  I lose much more money without than with lol

Don't have money for full used so this help me to get piece by piece.

Put in count I have an other experience with notebook, now it's like the 5th, and hp workstation was not so easy like other in general.

I send to seller some info, otherwise i wil buy a new motherboard and get the same price of tecnical work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.