Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion Elite HPE-570t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Recently, I was looking at upgrading my graphics card, as the current HD 5450 I have isn't going to cut it for gaming. After doing some research, a noticed that because of my older MOBO (Pegatron 2AB6), it is going to be a bit harder to find a compatible graphics card. I recently found a graphics card that I found interesting, it is the HD 7970. Would this graphics card be compatible with my computer? (I am aware that I will probably need a new PSU too because a 300w one will probably not be enough)

Extra Specs:
i7 2600 

8 GB DDR3 Ram

300 PSU

HD 5450 Graphics Card (current)
Pegatron 2AB6 MOBO

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes you should be fine as long as your system is set to Legacy Boot. The HD 7970 can have a problem with secure boot but since your system came with Windows 7 and still has Windows 7 it is surely set to Legacy boot. 

Some versions of the HD 7970 have a toggle switch on the card for legacy/uefi (secure) boot mode and be sure yours is set correctly if so. You do need to have at least a 500w power supply.

You may find this manual useful:

Upgrade guide

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Yes you should be fine as long as your system is set to Legacy Boot. The HD 7970 can have a problem with secure boot but since your system came with Windows 7 and still has Windows 7 it is surely set to Legacy boot. 

Some versions of the HD 7970 have a toggle switch on the card for legacy/uefi (secure) boot mode and be sure yours is set correctly if so. You do need to have at least a 500w power supply.

You may find this manual useful:

Upgrade guide

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

How would you set it to Legacy Boot?

HP Recommended

In the BIOS. Tap F10 as you power up and go into the settings. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.