Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ENVY TouchSmart 17 m7-j120dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This laptop is a product name m7-j120dx and product # E8A11UA

It comes with Intel HD graphics 4600 and I wonder if I can transplant the ENVIDIA GFORCE 840 video card from my bricked laptop which is an ENVY 17-j100 ??

Can anyone please confirm?? Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no removable graphics cards in your notebook.

If the motherboard on your 'bricked' notebook with the nvidia graphics is bad, then the graphics is gone too.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are no removable graphics cards in your notebook.

If the motherboard on your 'bricked' notebook with the nvidia graphics is bad, then the graphics is gone too.

HP Recommended

Paul thanks so much for your quick reply.

I have one more question for you:

On this bricked MB ENVY... I have the 1920x1080 touchsmart display.

Can I take this display and swap it to the ENVY 17-j178nr which comes with the 1600x900 display?

Lmk... tnx.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, that I do not know.

On older notebooks, different inverters were used for display panels with different resolutions.

I don't know if that still holds true on the newer notebooks such as yours.

I guess you can check the parts list for both of your models and see if there are only display panels listed and not different inverters.  Chapter 3 of the service manuals on the support page should give the list of parts.

Plus they are different models, so the panels may not be the same.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.