Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The pointing stick (trackpoint) of the ZBook 15 G5 i've just received is super-sensitive in detecting a click even when i just try to move the mouse. This in turn leads to all kind of accidental and unintentional actions (e.g., it cause accidental drag'n'drop of windows, folders and alike). 

On my older 840 G2 (and windows 8.1) the synaptics driver had some related configuration. However, as far as i can tell the ZBook 15 G5 has alps hw & driver and that driver doesn't seem to have any visible configuration regarding the pointing stick, only the touchpad.

I like trackpoints and have used them for decades, initially on thinkpads and now on HP.  While the trackpoint on the 840 G2 was a step back from the thinkpads, it was still ok to use. However, the ZB 15 G5's click behaviour makes it almost unusable 😞

=>

is there any way to disable the click/selection of the trackpoint or change the sensitivity?  Thanks for any help and pointers!

-michael-

PS: According to HP Support Assistant (and softPaq) i do have latest version of alps driver as i do have latest firmware/bios or other drivers. also latest update for windows 10 (based on 1709)

BTW: to be able to scroll as with a wheel mouse would be great too but judging from https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/ZBook-15-G5-Scrolling-with-poin... there doesn't seem to be any option for this either?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update: The Alps driver update (8.2206.1717.1013) which just showed up with HP Support Assistant solved my issue. By default (a) it seems to have disabled the click-on-point-stick and (b) scroll-mouse also works!  Exactly what i wanted 🙂   As i eventually discovered, it also added an configuration app:  AlpsAlpine TouchPad Settings Manager (note that afaik it is not  linked to the usual settings but you will have to invoke it separatedly, e.g., via WIN-S "AlpsAlpine .." ..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Update: The Alps driver update (8.2206.1717.1013) which just showed up with HP Support Assistant solved my issue. By default (a) it seems to have disabled the click-on-point-stick and (b) scroll-mouse also works!  Exactly what i wanted 🙂   As i eventually discovered, it also added an configuration app:  AlpsAlpine TouchPad Settings Manager (note that afaik it is not  linked to the usual settings but you will have to invoke it separatedly, e.g., via WIN-S "AlpsAlpine .." ..

HP Recommended

Hi, I had the same issue. I could not scroll with the middle button. I understand, that you solved this issue by installing the latest driver. I could not reproduce this.

There is no option for the middle button in the ALPS software (see screenshots), to enable scrolling.

How does it look for you?

TrackPoint.png

HP Recommended

I didn't enable anything special for scroll mouse to work: all button actions are in their default position as it seems in your case. One difference i notice, though, is that i have an "Enable PointStick" selector above the "Pointing" and "pointing Speed slider" which i don't see in your screen shot. But then i guess the PointStick does work from what you say? Not sure whether it makes a difference but i also have the touchpad (and hence also the lower row of buttons) disabled.  Working scroll-mouse, though, might also depend on the particular applications? (e.g., for me it does work in chrome but does not work in gnu-emacs)

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply!

The pointing stick in general works (scrolling and "dead seconds", where it does not react for a short period of time every now and then, left aside)

My touchpad is disabled as well.

Seems like, I need to keep waiting.

HP Recommended

I got a new zbook 15 G5 last week. I am reinstalling the windows by myself. I found the Alps driver couldn't be installed correctly. It seems like the installation was crashed. I found the driver was installed, but I can't find the configuration application. Can you please show me where I can find the " AlpsAlpine TouchPad Settings Manager" as you mentioned. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Assuming you have installed above referenced/linked driver  (8.2206.1717.1013)  or above,  then you should be able to find the settings manager with Win-S and typing 'Alps' ...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I will try it this evening.

HP Recommended

I found this utility. But I couldn't assign the middle key to scrolling.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.