Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ZBook Firefly 15 G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a ZBook Firefly 15 G8 laptop being shipped to me soon, and I plan on upgrading the SSD and the RAM immediately, so I want to get the replacement parts ordered now. Does anyone know if it is possible to enable an XMP profile at 3200MHz for Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Laptop Gaming Memory Kit 64GB (32GBx2) CL16 BL2K32G32C16S4B or should I just go with Crucial 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 SODIMM - CT2K32G4SFD832A if overclocking is not an option?

Also, for an SSD, which is better, the  Crucial P5 2TB 3D NAND NVMe Internal SSD, up to 3400MB/s - CT2000P5SSD8 or the Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe M.2 2280SS SSD - CT2000P5PSSD8 version?

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual if you should need it:

Manual 

Yes you can install up to a pair of 32 gig DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM for 64 gigs of RAM. HP specs this module:

32 GB M09713-002

Looks like this:

32 gig DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM32 gig DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM

This is CL=22 latency. Overclocking is not an option and you want to avoid "performance" or "gaming" memory as even on HP gaming machines you can run into booting issues with such modules. In other words I would go with the standard OEM Crucial modules; your second option above. 

As far as the NVME M.2 the bus is 3rd gen PCIe so the very newest and fastest NVME will not run to their full potential. My preference is for the Samsung 970 Pro if money is not an issue but the Crucial P5 you mention (either one-I think they both may be the same kit) is also a good choice. 

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-970-pro-nvme-m2-1tb-mz-v7...

The Samsung 970 Evo or Evo Plus is cheaper and only a little slower than the Pro. 

Enjoy. That is a heckuva machine.

HP Recommended

According to docs one memory module is not replaceable.
Agree with Huffer - safer to not use gaming things.

Have you replaced memory yet?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.