Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have looked all over for some assistance in changing the duration of the lighting on the backlit keyboard.  I have tried the BIOS (apparently, adjustments are not available on a lowly Envy).  Anyway, the problem is that the backlight only stays on for a few seconds.  I bought this laptop because of the backlit keyboard since I am visually impaired and the backlight usually helps.  At least it did on my last laptop.  It is not terribly helpful if you have to constantly faulter around for the key to turn the keyboard back on.  I cannot see the key when the keyboard is not lit.  How's that for functionality?  Seems totally idiotic to market a machine as having a backlit keyboard when HP decided that their consumers don't really need the backlighting.  Couldn't HP send out an update to make adjustments to backlit keyboard duration an option for the user?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You must have put a zillion spaces in you post. It is full of empty space.

I own an HP Spectre x360-13t-ap0xxxx ultrabook  and that function is not there either.

Our keyboards should be pretty much the same.

For the sake of notebook mobile battery usage, HP seems to have decided to remove the timing feature that was present in the notebooks about four or five years ago.

Here is my workaround.

With your finger find the upper most left key in the dark and count  six keys over to the right and give it a tap. That should bring the backlight to life.

Otherwise, just tap any key on the  keyboard once. That works on my Spectre 13, if the backlight is off, as well.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.