Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion x360 convertiable 14dh1181tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

can i upgrade my laptop hardrive in bigger stroage

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes it is a 256 gig NVME M.2 SSD and you can install a larger capacity of the same type. It's also possible to add a second storage disk...2.5 inch SATA SSD or HDD, but for that you need a mounting caddy and connection cable. 

Manual 

See pp. 31 and 37-40.

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, that's very usefull and thankyou.

And thanks for the link to the manual by the way .

A few more questions if I may. 

I'm not going to be using this machine for anything heavy at all, a bit of light video editing and day to day internet browsing etc.

What would be the best thing to do do you think. Retain the existing 1trbt HDD and put a 500gb SSD into the designated slot and run the OS from there and use the 1trbite HDD for storage! Does that make sense?

Also which SSD is best for this laptop, samsung...crucial etc etc??

And also do you know if the ram can be upgraded!

I'm picking the laptop up this week so haven't properlly examined it but the ram I know is at 8gb but 4gb of that research has lead me to believe maybe soldered in place which means that upgrading just 1 slot may cause issues.

Over to you and thanks for your help,

Paul

HP Recommended

I have a very similar laptop, with the same Toshiba 256GB NVMe M.2 SSD. The current specs of the M.2 in the laptop are quite basic 2700 read and 1050 write. It is PCIe 3.1 so the motherboard isn't too old (HP 836B).

Would I be be able to use the WD Black SN850 1TB disk, or would PCI4 4.0 be incompatible or just not able to run to full advertised speeds of 7000 read 5300 write?

HP Recommended

You are getting it with a 256 gig NVME M.2 which is very fast and fully adequate storage if you also add a hard drive or second, 2.5 inch SSD just to park your big files like music movies and pictures and documents. Yes the memory is also upgradable as far as 32 gigs. 

HP Recommended

A PCIe 4.0 SSD would work but would not perform any better than a gen 3. A Samsung 970 Evo is still the best NVME M.2 SSD for that machine but the Toshiba, although about 70% as fast, is still good. Once you get up over 2500 mbps read the extra speed is very hard to detect. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.