Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-dk1003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just purchased HP 14 inch notebook computer model 14-dk1003dx with 128 GB SSD and 4 GB ram.  Unable to get computer to recognize my LG external super multi drive DVD drive.  Drive is recognized on all my other computers, both Win 8.1 and Win 10.

Need to be able to load software on CD onto new computer.   If can't resolve this issue, then have no choice but return it.

Thank you for any insights.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@HikerP Is the external drive connected via USB, if yes, are other USB devices being detected? click here to troubleshoot if they are not working,

However, if you are connecting the driver via other ports, please elaborate as to how you are connecting it?

And which external DVD drive is it? model name would help.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, other USB device (thumb drive) works fine in same USB slot.   So not the USB port but the LG external DVD drive that is not recognized in Windows device mgr.   LG DVD drive is recognized on my other Win 8 and Win 10 computers, so it's not the LG DVD drive that is the problem.  

Just this new HP computer has this problem recognizing the LG supermulti DVD drive.   Have used update for latest Windows updates.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@HikerP Did you try the drive with alternate USB ports, if yes, and it's not detected I suggest you ensure the software for the drive is installed, please go to the manufacturer website and install the same, then check if it works, if not, check this article for assistance, or refer to the drive manufacturer for compatibility issues.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did all that and still Windows does not show any DVD drive recognized in Device Mgr.   DVD is recognized on my other Toshiba laptop also running Wind 10.   Also works on my tiny ASUS netbook.   So HP computer has some issue.   Checked for drivers from LG and there were none, as supposed to be Plug and Play.

HP Recommended

@HikerP

This seems to be a driver compatibility issue. since both the USB port and the External DVD Drive works fine with other devices.

Try contacting the DVD Drive Manufacturer and check

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.