Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp code: 641487-001

Hello everyone

I have a simple question that no one in AliExpress nor eBay seem to know the answer.

My laptop (dv6-6190ep) motherboard (650799-001) died, i suspect a capacitor problem but i can't fix it so i need to replace the motherboard. I want to salvage the cpu (2630QM) to the new motherboard. 

I (suppidly) ordered a motherboard from AliExpress, the 641487-001 without checking if its compatible with the cpu.

The chipset checks out (hm65) and the socket too (pga989, compatible with pga988)

1 seller on ebay told me has long as the chipset & socket were ok then shouldn't be a problem. Another told me that it (the mb 641487-001) was only compatible with i3/i5 cpus and the lack of compatibility for i7 was due to the bios. 

So now i don't know who to trust. I requested the seller to cancel the order but he seems offline.

TL;DR

Bought mb without checking cpu compatibility.  want to know if i7 2630qm works in 641487-001

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

c02842252.pdf (hp.com)

Chapter 3 page 28 has the motherboard part number you ordered...

For use only with computer models equipped with a dual core processor, the Intel HD6490 graphics subsystem, 1024-MB of discrete memory, and USB version 2.0    641487-001

The processor you have is also listed as supported in the manual but only for the motherboards that were designed for the quad core processors.

Now that you have the manual, you can order the right system board you want that supports a quad core processor.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

c02842252.pdf (hp.com)

Chapter 3 page 28 has the motherboard part number you ordered...

For use only with computer models equipped with a dual core processor, the Intel HD6490 graphics subsystem, 1024-MB of discrete memory, and USB version 2.0    641487-001

The processor you have is also listed as supported in the manual but only for the motherboards that were designed for the quad core processors.

Now that you have the manual, you can order the right system board you want that supports a quad core processor.

HP Recommended

Much appreciated for your time & answer!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If the seller is located in China (which hosts Ali Express), no doubt they are fast asleep right now, which may be why they haven't replied to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.