Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So i got a dv6 3010sd notebook, and i just got a i7 840qm processor. Wich the manual states as the max cpu you can get on this model, and it has the same socket aswell.

But when installed, i press the power button, and it just seems to attempt to boot over and over. As in the 2 status light next to the usb port right side light up, the optical drive light lights up, the power and wifi button on the keyboard light up. And then everything turns off again. And it just keeps doing that.. So did i buy a faulty cpu ? or am i missing something here.. ?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Did you do a hard reset of the bios?  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768  

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

No i didnt do a hard reset of the bios. I took the P6000 out, and stuck the i7 840qm in, and it didnt work. then i stuck the p6000 back in, and it just works. i dont see how a bios reset would fix that.. honestly.

HP Recommended

Because the bios checks which cpu (memory and drives too) at each hard restart, if it's different it has to adjust settings.

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

Hi, @TDuiker 

The manual is not correct for the models like yours that originally came with a dual core processor.

You have to install a supported 1st gen dual core processor.

Something like the i7-640M, i5-580M, i5-480M, etc.

HP Recommended

It doesnt say i7 640m in the manual though so what the hell ??

Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 22-21-15 HP Pavilion dv6-3010sd Product description. HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide (English).png

HP Recommended

OK, so the 580M would be the max according to the manual.

Forgive me for my mistake, and I didn't write i7-740M, I wrote i7-640M, so what the hell right back at you!

HP Recommended

and you indeed wrote 640, my bad. and i wasnt what the helling at you. But doesnt it say i7 840 qm there . so if i only could use dual core for some reason that would be a i5.. according to the manual at least.. i just know i spend 40 bucks on a cpu from china, thats the same socket, and it says in the manual it should work and it doesnt. i allready took this notebook apart half a dozen times today pfff..

HP Recommended

OK, let's forget about the superfluous hell stuff back and forth. 😊

Here's the reason why the quad core processors don't work and why you have to use a dual core one.

If you look at chapter 3 pages 22 & 23 of the service manual, different motherboards are used for the notebooks that come with dual core processors and the ones that come with the quad core processors.

c02657339.pdf (hp.com)

HP Recommended

Hi, @TDuiker  the i7 840qm processor has been discontinued. There is definitely a reason why laptop users should not be installing this on their systems. So a hardware error may be the cause of this challenge.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.