Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/HM55_Express.html it says hm55 wich is the chipset support i7 840qm. and i have installed discontineud processors before. just because its discontineud doesn mean it doesnt work.

HP Recommended

I have provided the explanation as to why the i7-840QM won't work.

It has nothing to do with the processor being discontinued.

All of the processors in that manual have been discontinued.

Also, if your notebook only has the onboard Intel graphics, no quad core processor would work because they all require a discrete GPU such as one of the AMD models listed in the service manual.

Only the 1st gen dual core processors support the onboard Intel graphics.

HP Recommended

the discontineud bit was to the other guy really, but it has intel hd graphics, and amd mobility radeon hd 5000 series.. it does have a seperate amd graphics chip is the thing. A 5470 to be exact.

HP Recommended

Like I wrote earlier, different motherboard part numbers are used for the models with the dual core processors.

Since your notebook came with a dual core processor it has the dual core motherboard, not the quad core one.

There is no way you will be able to get the quad core to work in your notebook.

It is certainly not worth replacing the motherboard with one that supports the quad cores.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.