Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion au111tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

i need to add a ssd to my au111tx. does it support m2 slot? or i need to replace dvd drive with sata 3 dvd. I am from india, and i have an indian model of the laptop if it makes any difference.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

First of all you can forget about replacing the DVD drive with an SSD. The port runs at a slower speed so the SSD will run slower than it should. 

See page 30 of the Manual here:

Manual

At the lower left of the picture it shows an M.2 mSSD disk. 

Like this:

GNRC SSD 256GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value 865902-001

However, we have had several reports including pictures which show no actual M.2 slot in that position. 

The laptop can use a SATA M.2 in an adapter put in place of the hard drive or a SATA 2.5 inch SSD in place of the hard drive. 

Post back with any more questions. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you please provide pictures how lower portion will look like to have m.2 slot and without m.2 slot?

It's not visibly clear to understand as mentioned on page 30 of the manual.

Also i like to have more technical eloboration on following statement regrading port speed:

"First of all you can forget about replacing the DVD drive with an SSD. The port runs at a slower speed so the SSD will run slower than it should. "

This will surely help me to understand the options, i have to upgrade the system.

Thanks & Regards,

Dhirendra

HP Recommended

Generally you should start your own thread but to answer your questions:

M.2 slot in rectangleM.2 slot in rectangle

The marked rectangle shows where the M.2 slot is when it is present. When it is not, there will be no slot to plug in an M.2 at this location. 

The DVD SATA port is slower than the hard drive SATA port. So if you put an SSD in a DVD type caddy and plug it in the slot designed for the DVD drive, the SSD will run at a slower input and output speed than if it were plugged into the port designed for a hard drive. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Appreciate your prompt response.

Here is the picture of my laptop. Can you please confirm if it has M2 slot?

HP_AU111TX_Basement.jpg

Can you please confirm if the above picture has the M2 slot as per manual guide?

Also what is the place for as squared center positioned on the right side?

I have few more queries now. 

Will it be ok if i put the new SSD in place of current HDD and the existing HDD in optical drive bay. Will speed still be the issue?

Also i went through the manual for RAM upgradation. It is mentioned the highest RAM supported is 16GB i.e. 2x8GB. 

Will another single 16GB RAM work along side existing 8GB RAM? ( Just curious if it can go further what is mentioned in the manual.)

Regards,

Dhirendra

HP Recommended

I do not clearly see an M.2 slot there although you have the red box on the left going over just where the slot would be. 

The thing on the right is where a DVD drive would go. The "right" way to go is SSD in the hard drive bay and if you must have it, the HDD in the optical bay. The HDD will still slow down but you did not pay an arm and a leg for its speed. It is still useable for storage. 

Yes the Intel 7th gen machines are known to be able to take up to 32 gigs of RAM (2 x 16 gigs) so you could add a 16 gig module. Make sure you get compatible memory. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.