Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

It took only 2 days for me to have inadvertently toggled my function keys to multimedia on my brand new HP Notebook - 15-bs013dx, which surprisingly doesn't show in this forum's Product name dropdown menu.

I know I can go into the bios and restore the function keys, but since touching some key combination toggled them in the first place, why can't some other key combination toggle them back? I'm in the middle of copying my data from my old computer, and don't want to have to restart, which is the only way I know to get to the bios.

And what was it that I pressed that made the function keys become multimedia keys? This has happened on my old computer infrequently, but that's more than 10 years old, so I've suffered, but expect better from one that's only 2 days old.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@PatrickBoylan

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand you need help with the toggling of function keys Vs the multimedia keys,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you know there are no other options to enter BIOS but to restart the device?

(I'm afraid that's the only option)

That said, here's what you need to do, once you are done with the data backup/restore:

On most HP and Compaq notebook computers, it is necessary to press and hold the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to activate the default functions; such as, increasing or decreasing the brightness of the display, the sound volume, sleep, keyboard lock, etc. On the HP Envy notebooks and other notebooks with advanced BIOS options, the function keys can be configured so that it is not necessary to press and hold the fn key.

To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the f10 key repeatedly, about once every second to open the BIOS setup window.

3. Press the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

Figure : BIOS setup window

BIOS setup window with the System Configuration option and Action Keys Mode selected
  4. Press the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.

5. Select the desired mode:
    • Disabled: Requires pressing and holding the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Disabled, pressing the f11 key will minimize and maximize a web browser if open. Alternatively, pressing and holding the fn + f11 keys will mute the sound.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

• Enabled: Requires pressing only one of the f1 through f12 keys to use the action as indicated on the action key.

For example, on some computer models, if the Action Keys Mode is Enabled, pressing f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the action key. Alternatively, pressing and holding fn + f11 will minimize and maximize a web browser if open.

The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.

6. Press the f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.

The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, that doesn't help. I already know how to get to the bios. What I don't know is how do I toggle the function keys without going to the bios.

I must not have been clear in my first message. When I got the computer Wednesday the function keys acted as function keys, for example in windows explorer highlighting a file or folder and hitting f2 would let me rename the file or folder.

Sometime between Wednesday and Friday, without me going to the bios, the function keys acted as multimedia keys, for example pressing F2 would decrease the screen brightness.

So obviously there's some key combination that makes the function keys act as multimiedia. What is that key combination? Is there another key combination to make them act as function keys again without having to go to the bios?

HP Recommended

@PatrickBoylan

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

You were clear on both messages,

And so was I, when I mentioned I'm afraid the only option is to toggle it via BIOS.

That said, I'm afraid an update installed via HP or windows could have changed the function keys response,

And you can toggle it back using the BIOS screen as HP doesn't recommend or has any options of changing it in any other way as mentioned before.

I hope that answers your query!

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" button.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You might have pressed the "fn" key twice. Press it twice again to reverse.

To toggle/reverse the function key without bios- press "fn" key twice.

HP Recommended

I have never written a note in response to an answer to a search I have done - I have never been so profoundly affected by an answer to such a search!!! For this, I thank you! I have searched for this answer ever since I purchased this laptop a few years ago. Simply, I wanted the default keys so that I could "refresh' as desired, etc... not much use, in my work, for the multimedia functions... I was, once again, at wits end in my neverending search for the "toggle" switch - and I ran across your answer!!! After all the crazy-over-the-top work-arounds!!! And then your wonderful, simple, anyone-should-have-known-but-too-easy-won't sound techie enough-so, it could'nt possibly work, right? -- your very wonderful-very usable ANSWER!!!... JUST HIT THE FN BUTTON TWICE!!! I have used this repeatedly (just to prove it worked) - IT WORKS! I cannot thank you enough for taking this ridiculous chore off my list! Thank You...

HP Recommended

On my new laptop pressing fn twice did not work. But i Noticed a "fn lock" key (left shift key). Press fn + "fn lock" and the fn key is locked like caps lock which has the same result. 

HP Recommended

It's amazing how incompetent HP support is!  They have posted all over the place that you need to set the function lock/media keys in the bios when all you need to do is press the fn key twice!  Amazing!

@riddle_decipher should be fired for that terrible and condescending answer.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot. Didn't even notice the "fn lock" key. This one works perfectly for me.

HP Recommended

Pressing the fn key twice spent work for me on the 24-xa0119 All-in-One I just got. Neither did shift+fn. Nothing seems to work and for some reason they don't think giving people the option to change how the keys work is a good idea  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.