Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

laptop hinge stuck open

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you are able to remove the hinge you can try a non conductive lubricant such as silicone spray to see if that frees it.

Personally, I would remove the failed hinge and replace it with a new one.  

I can't help you with any part number or vendor source  for the hinge(s), as you have not identified your notebook in any way that I can see. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and appreciate your volunteer efforts. I was hoping to hear from an HP expert, but I guess that's not an option. Lubricating the hinge was my first remedy, but it only helped a little. You still have to forcefully close/collapse the hinge to make it close.

I wanted to pursue replacement of the hinge and saw links to numerous videos on the HP support site listing all the steps needed to remove about 6 parts to access hinge. However, 90% of the videos are no longer available. That's what I'm looking for. Can you assist? The model is HP Laptop 17by1021cl.  If it's easier to converse by phone, my number is 443.955.9826.

Thank you.

Bob

HP Recommended

I see. 

You should read what you wrote before you post it and  ask for assistance.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Not understanding your reply "read what you wrote before posting" ?  I did read or proof what I wrote before posting. Can you clarify?

Thank you. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.