Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need to upgrade Windows 10.  It tells me the following:  "HP Pavilion Notebook BIOS needs to be upgraded before you can upgrade Windows 10.  It tells me to unstall HP Pavilion Notebook BIOS.  I asked how to uninstall it and it is asking for the Operating System and the Product Name.  I have an old laptop that belong to someone else and the label with the product name, model and serial number has been half way torn off.  Therefore I am unable to give you the Product Name in order for you'll to help me. Is there anything else I can do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to update the BIOS. You most likely have an AMD CPU and it needs BIOS update before it can update Windows 10. Please provide the model or product number. There are many different ways to find it. Here is link to HP support page showing you how:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00033108

Let me know,

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Angelicireyes

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I see that you're wanting to upgrade to Windows OS and also computer says to update the latest bios in order to initiate,
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Are you installing retailer version of windows 10?
  • Have you tried updating the bios?
  • What is the original operating system came with the computer?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

To Install Windows 10 on a computer that came with Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 using the instructions in this document. Click here

Note: check for system requirements 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner
,Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.  Have a great day!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

You need to update the BIOS. You most likely have an AMD CPU and it needs BIOS update before it can update Windows 10. Please provide the model or product number. There are many different ways to find it. Here is link to HP support page showing you how:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00033108

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

I originally  began to uninstall Bios and got your response.  The answer you gave me was working until it came time to upgrade the HP Pavilion Notebook Bios.  Now I can't find the "BitLocker" so that I can disable it before updating Bios per instructions.  I notice it said to go to windows and type in bitlocker and that's where I am held up at.  I went into the control panel and tried different locations from just plain control panel to control panel/system security.  I also typed the word bitlocker in the search window in the control panel and in control panel/system security and was not found.  Can you please tell me how to find this.

The answers to your previous questions are below.

I am installing Windows 10 from your support system, not retailers.

Unable to update Bios due to the fact that I can't locate the bitlocker.

I do not know the original operating system of this computer.  I bought it used with windows 10 already on it.

HP Recommended

Hi,

If you have Windows 10 home on the PC you do not need to disable Bitlocker, as it is not present. All you really needed to do is Update BIOS. (install latest BIOS).

David

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your help.  I thought I would never be able to update Bios.  But thanks to your awesome answers and advise, I have now updated Bios, Yeaaaaaa!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.