Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15 db0031nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded my hp 15 db0031nr, with a 1tb SSD and maxxed out ram at 32GB. Went to install a M.2 SSD, there is a slot there but no terminal to plug the M.2 into. Everything's there, the screw down hole, etc. but no terminal. This is a brand new laptop.

Am I missing something?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unless the notebook came with a M.2 drive from the factory, the M.2 slot is not there.

Also, notebooks with the AMD 'A' series processors such as yours only support SATA M.2 SSD's, not NVMe.

I think the easiest thing to do would be to return the drive and replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

If you want to try and install the slot, below is the link to the service manual.

Chapter 3, page 27 has the parts required to add a M.2 slot.

I don't believe any screws are included.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

(7) Hard drive/solid-state drive cable    L20456-001
(8) Solid-state drive bracket                    L20458-001
(9) Solid-state drive connector board   L20457-001

Unfortunately, I would have no idea where you can find the parts or even if you can.

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

There is no difference in performance between a M.2 SATA SSD and a 2.5" SATA SSD.

HP Recommended

I know the difference between a NVMe and a M.2 2280. There is an empty slot for a M.2 SSD. Everything is there to install M.2 except for the terminal, even the screw down hole at the opposite end.  I replaced the mechanical 2.5 with a 1tb ssd. I maxed out the DDR4 ram at 32GB. Here is the link to the Crucial 1 TB M.2 SSD that I purchased.  I wanted to have a total storage of 2 TB. I ended up buying an enclosure and am using it as a external SSD until I can find the time to install the terminal.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-1TB-SSD-WDS100T2B0B/dp/B073SB2MXT/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQo...

Before I opened up the case to install the M.2, and the other upgrades,  I had several people tell me my model had the slot, didn't know I needed to install the terminal to plug the M.2 into.

HP Recommended

I'm happy that you know the difference between a SATA and a NVMe SSD's, but that was not the reason I stated what I did.

If you look at chapter 1 of the service manual, it indicates that both SATA and NVMe M.2 SSD's are supported, and that is incorrect.

I did not want you to purchase the wrong type of M.2 drive.

Only the models with the Ryzen processors support NVMe M.2 SSD's.

HP Recommended

I finally was convinced that my laptop model had a M.2 slot from a post on this forum:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/does-the-HP-15-DB0031NR-have-a...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.