Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 2000 note book pc 2d49tu

Is it possible to replace the processor intel pentium 2020m into i3 or i5 processor on hp 2000 notebook pc...

does it need any other changes for processor upgrade..reply me soon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

And beyond that, look at page 17 of the Manual. Celeron and Pentium models use a different motherboard than the i3 and i5 models. Some have said you can put an i5 on the Pentium board but I doubt it. I am going to echo @WAWood here and say this upgrade attempt would just lead right down a rabbit hole with no good way out. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@karthik_thala

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The answer to your question is YES -- it is possible -- but it is an enormous amount of work!

Here is the Service and Maintenance Manual for your model PC:  http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03763129

As you can see, starting on page 1, that model comes with a variety of different processors.

But, starting on page 84, you can also see that a huge amount of work is involved in disassembling the PC in order to get to the system board in order to replace it or the processor.

Unless you are highly experienced in doing this kind of work, I strongly recommend AGAINST doing it, as it is very easy to damage fragile connectors, rendering your PC useless in the process. 

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

And beyond that, look at page 17 of the Manual. Celeron and Pentium models use a different motherboard than the i3 and i5 models. Some have said you can put an i5 on the Pentium board but I doubt it. I am going to echo @WAWood here and say this upgrade attempt would just lead right down a rabbit hole with no good way out. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.