Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp omen 15-5001na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

For my old omen (with 4th Gen i7, GTX860M), the laptop comes with a SATA M.2 256G B+M key SSD. Can this laptop use NVMe M.2 SSD? I notice that the slot is M key, just want to know is it capable of using an NVMe SSD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes the OMEN can use either an M2 SATA3 or an M2 PCIe NVMe SSD. You will need to replace the 256GB M2 SATA drive.

You can see on page 1 of service manual (you can use higher capacity disk than mentioned in the list)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04620176

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@willwolaile

Sorry no, it has single PCIe / SATA M.2 SSD configuration as storage (scope M.2 2260/2280 DS SSD).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
So to make sure. It's a SATA M.2 slot, cannot use NVMe M.2 SSD, is that right?
HP Recommended

@willwolaile wrote:
So to make sure. It's a SATA M.2 slot, cannot use NVMe M.2 SSD, is that right?

@willwolaile

In many cases, you can put NVMe drive or SATA drive to SAME slot and either will work BUT SATA and PCIe are NOT same price, why pay more to get nothing more?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes the OMEN can use either an M2 SATA3 or an M2 PCIe NVMe SSD. You will need to replace the 256GB M2 SATA drive.

You can see on page 1 of service manual (you can use higher capacity disk than mentioned in the list)

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04620176

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Thank u, this manual is so clear 

HP Recommended

Hello, I have the same 15-5001na laptop and my SSD has failed.

Would you be able to tell me what SSD you installed in the end and were you successful?

I'm struggling to understand what is available that will work. I purchased a new NVMe Samsung EVO970 but it was not compatible! Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.