Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Stream Notebook - 11-d010wm
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

while trying to download and update to windows 10 i keep getting stopped at  Note enough space, its saying i need 5GB of space. my RAM is only 2GB. does this mean i cant get windows 10? or must i get an external hard drive? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

shannel

First of all, you're confusing memory with disk space.  The Win10 Upgrade typically needs 20GB of disk space, and as your laptop most likely has only a 32GB drive, it has nowhere near enough space to do the upgrade.

Second, the 2GB you mention is system memory, which is totally unrelated to disk space.

Personally I would advise strongly AGAINST doing the Win10 Upgrade, as it is a LOT of work and even when that's done, folks have complained about later, not being able to apply the Cumulative Updates, and there is a BIG one coming out the beginning of August!

Here is a link from somone with a similar model who did perform the upgrade: How I was able to install Windows 10 on HP Stream 13 (32GB S... - HP Support Forum - 5179626

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

shannel

First of all, you're confusing memory with disk space.  The Win10 Upgrade typically needs 20GB of disk space, and as your laptop most likely has only a 32GB drive, it has nowhere near enough space to do the upgrade.

Second, the 2GB you mention is system memory, which is totally unrelated to disk space.

Personally I would advise strongly AGAINST doing the Win10 Upgrade, as it is a LOT of work and even when that's done, folks have complained about later, not being able to apply the Cumulative Updates, and there is a BIG one coming out the beginning of August!

Here is a link from somone with a similar model who did perform the upgrade: How I was able to install Windows 10 on HP Stream 13 (32GB S... - HP Support Forum - 5179626

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.