Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

hello:)

I need upgrade my hp6910p laptop processor.

Which is the best for this model?

I don't know which chipset I have PM965 or GM965.

s/n CND804181M

p/n GC020ET#AK8

Please help me 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @ink23 :

If your notebook has the Intel graphics, it has the GM965 chipset.

If your notebook has the AMD graphics, it has the PM965 chipset.

If your notebook has BIOS F.14 or newer, you can install the following processors beyond what is listed in the manual...

T7800, T8100, T8300, T9300 and the T9500.

The T9600 won't work because it has a 1066 MHz FSB, and only processors with the 800 MHz FSB will work.

Other things you can do...

Install 2 x 4 GB of PC2-6400 memory if you are running a 64 bit operating system. 

While not listed in the specs, the 6910p can run 8 GB of memory.

The problem is 2 x 4 GB of DDR2 memory is very expensive nowadays.

Install a SSD.  I put a 120 GB Intel 535 SSD in my 6910p and it works great.  It runs at the SATA II speed.

I also installed 2 x 4 GB of memory in mine when it was relatively cheap several years ago.

I did not upgrade the processor.  Mine has the T7500, and that is good enough for me with the memory and SSD upgrades.

I am also running W10 Pro 64 bit.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check page 1 of the following documents:

http://notebooksforstudents.org/Manuals/Manual_6910P.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

T7700?

I see this pdf but I don't see how to check chipset.

Maybe T9600 is possible for this model?

HP Recommended

Hi, @ink23 :

If your notebook has the Intel graphics, it has the GM965 chipset.

If your notebook has the AMD graphics, it has the PM965 chipset.

If your notebook has BIOS F.14 or newer, you can install the following processors beyond what is listed in the manual...

T7800, T8100, T8300, T9300 and the T9500.

The T9600 won't work because it has a 1066 MHz FSB, and only processors with the 800 MHz FSB will work.

Other things you can do...

Install 2 x 4 GB of PC2-6400 memory if you are running a 64 bit operating system. 

While not listed in the specs, the 6910p can run 8 GB of memory.

The problem is 2 x 4 GB of DDR2 memory is very expensive nowadays.

Install a SSD.  I put a 120 GB Intel 535 SSD in my 6910p and it works great.  It runs at the SATA II speed.

I also installed 2 x 4 GB of memory in mine when it was relatively cheap several years ago.

I did not upgrade the processor.  Mine has the T7500, and that is good enough for me with the memory and SSD upgrades.

I am also running W10 Pro 64 bit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.