Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hdx 16
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After windows 10 upgrade, my log in and password to open windows on my laptop was changed to my outlook id and password.  I don't want that, and want to revert to my old log in and password to open my computer.  It looks like outlook has taken over my computer.  I don't want anyone who uses my computer to have my outlook id and password, but do want guests to be able to log on and use my computer. 

Windows 10 help suggests I need to ask HP. 

How can I get my computer log in and password back to the way it was? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good Morning @charbarbhp,

Thank you for your update.  I am glad the issue has been resolved for you. If you feel my post has the information that would lead to the resolution, please choose "Accepted Solution" to alert other members and visitors alike should they have the same query.  To say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" below.

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @charbarbhp,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I understand that after you upgraded to Windows 10 your login was associated with your Outlook ID.  You are unhappy with that and would like to change it. 

Although that is more of a Microsoft issue than a HP as it is controlled by  the operating system, I think the following documentation will allow you to accomplish this. You Outlook account is a Microsoft service account and you want a local one. Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10 ( from tenforums.com).  You could also retain your Outlook account associations and just change the sign in option to a different option.  Please let me know if you were successful.

This is a great question other customers may also be wondering about; please click the  "Accept as Solution" if you feel this post has helped you, or could help others. You can say thanks easily by clicking the "Thumbs Up" below!  

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.  Prior to getting your msg, I figured out how to do it through my computer.  I chose settings, accounts, and saw an option to set up the computer sign in as 'local'.  Then, my old log in ID showed up, I reassigned my old password, and presto, problem solved.  Now when I follow the same route, the alternate option is to sign in with my outlook account, so I can go back to that if I want to later.  

I will assess the values of each log in option, but am happy now that I can log into my computer without using my outlook id and password.  The local option leaves me with more security and password protection for my personal email, while it allows other family members to use my computer.

If I can find a spot to register this complaint with MS, and/or windows 10, I will, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that the new operating system changing my computer log-in without my knowledge or permission was not acceptable.

Thanks HP, and forum, for your help.

HP Recommended

Good Morning @charbarbhp,

Thank you for your update.  I am glad the issue has been resolved for you. If you feel my post has the information that would lead to the resolution, please choose "Accepted Solution" to alert other members and visitors alike should they have the same query.  To say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" below.

Thank you in advance and have a great day!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.