Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 840 G4 i5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Begin here https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/installing-NFC-Module-on-Elite...

I have same  problem.

My base stuff: HP 840G4 intel core I5. No Fingerprint, no NFC modules 

hp840 G3 and G4 like a brothers.

new modules has been installed. 

Fingerprint sensor working well (now i have checkbutton "Fingerprint Device" in BIOS )

NFC module didn't work!!!

no BIOS option "NFC" in Builtin Devices

no device in Win10

Bios reset, bios-clock batery remove and bios reset again - no result.

I am not shure that my NFC module is well (i found it on EBay), But i think i have a same problem...

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

So. 

Still nothing, but i have some news.

1. Downgrate BIOS to version 1.02 - no result (no NFC device in BIOS)

2. But i found something interesting: you can save yours BIOS setings to USB drive. Simple .txt file. I found setiings for NFC module in it!!! But it was enabled by default. 

What it's mean? BIOS User Inteface know that NFS module can be installed. By default it will be Enabled (after installation)

But some where device is blocked.

3. next step.

NFC module (and touchpad) connected thru SmardCardRader board. By default Smart Card Reader work in PowerSaveMode. 

It's mean that CardReader is OFF when No Card in it.

I change this option in BIOS, and windows found new device - Card Reader. 

But no NFC module in Windows or BIOS.

So sad.

So good brand, and so stupid problems...

HP Recommended

And more...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/How-to-get-SMC-bin-file/td-p/6086763

information about magic SMC.bin file from HP support. 

its seems like a command file for bios. I understand that i need special file for my laptop.

But i think that's rigth way.

HP Recommended

But now i try to find hiresolution photos of other mother boaards. And compare elements on them.

Some body have HP 840 G4 or G3 with NFC ?

HP Recommended

Installing NFC module is authorized service provider procedure not customer self-repair.

Obviously there're another steps to get it working like programming/flashing EEPROM or something like this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.