Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion f7s48ea#abu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After up grade to windows 10 version 1803 I keep loosing my battery life indicator from the taskbar, shut down and reboot it comes back. Also noted some short clicking from harddrive on shutdown and bootup, any idea's.

PaulG12 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @PaulG12,

Try this:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand Batteries
  3. Right-click Microsoft AC Adapter
  4. Disable then re-enable
  5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 but this time for Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

But more concerning is the noise-emitting hard drive. This usually means that the hard drive is failing, therefore, a backup of your files is crucial.

You can test the hard drive in HP UEFI Diagnostics to confirm:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2 (System Diagnostics)
  3. Select the desired language
  4. Navigate to component tests
  5. Select Hard drive

Another sign is a very slow bootup. 

Let us know if you are interested in a hard drive replacement but I want to see your answers to all my suggestions above first.

Best regards,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @PaulG12,

Try this:

1. Open Device Manager
  2. Expand Batteries
  3. Right-click Microsoft AC Adapter
  4. Disable then re-enable
  5. Repeat Steps 3 and 4 but this time for Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

But more concerning is the noise-emitting hard drive. This usually means that the hard drive is failing, therefore, a backup of your files is crucial.

You can test the hard drive in HP UEFI Diagnostics to confirm:

1. Repeatedly press Esc upon startup
  2. Select F2 (System Diagnostics)
  3. Select the desired language
  4. Navigate to component tests
  5. Select Hard drive

Another sign is a very slow bootup. 

Let us know if you are interested in a hard drive replacement but I want to see your answers to all my suggestions above first.

Best regards,

Eddy

Hit the Accept as Solution if I solved your problem.
Hit the thumbs up to show appreciation!

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Carried out tests as suggested and battery life indicator holding at the moment. Also carried out major diag test on hard drive (2.5 hrs) and the hard drive was found to pass all tests.

Many thanks for your help and advice, fantastic way to learn

PaulG12 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.