Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop PC 15s-fq2000 (2D119AV)
Linux

the keyboard does not respond to typing immediately, someone can help?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@leopardi

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

I see you are experiencing issues with the keyboard not responding immediately on the HP Laptop PC.

Use HP PC Hardware Diagnostics to complete functional test of the keyboard and identify any problems with the hardware.

If there is a short delay before the character displays on the screen after pressing a key,. The Filter Keys function might be activated. Disable Filter Keys and return to the default keyboard behavior.

1. In Windows, search for keyboard, and then open Ease of Access keyboard settings or Change how your keyboard works.

2. Make sure the Filter Keys option is disabled.

The keys should be more responsive.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that the problem arises in a Linux environment (Linux Mint, to be precise.) The keys do not respond to typing. I have to press the keys many times before they start working. This has never happened to me before with other notebooks running Linux.

HP Recommended

@leopardi

Thank you for responding, I appreciate your time and effort.

If Slow Keys Enabled might cause the problem can be the slow keys feature that comes in the GNOME desktop environment. If this case is applicable to you, you just have to disable the slow keys feature from the accessibility menu and you should be good to go.

Slow keys and bounce keys are features of the GNOME desktop environment. Slow keys is basically a feature that puts a delay between when the letter key is pressed on the keyboard and when that letter is displayed on the screen. If the slow keys feature is enabled, you will have to hold each key that you wish to press before it is registered.

Bounce keys is almost a similar feature. Intended for users with physical disabilities, bounce keys is a feature that tells the system to ignore repeated and rapid presses of the same key based on its configuration. You need to turn these features off to restore the input to the default state. Here’s how to do it:

First of all, open up the Settings window from the top bar by clicking on your username and clicking Settings from the drop-down menu.

• After that, navigate to the Universal Access tab.
  • Under Typing, click on the Typing Assist (AccessX) option.
  • Just Disable typing assist option from the pop-up window which will turn off both the slow and bounce keys features

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the assistance. All Universal access features are disabled and unfortunately the problem still exists.

HP Recommended

@leopardi

Thank you for responding,

You can try adding a new user (just to see if there was some strange configuration issue in normal user) and that exhibits the same issue. Also check If It works in grub and when in recovery mode. 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.