Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi All,

Have just received a new laptop from HP that came, for some obscure reason we're yet to fathom without the operating system on the disk.

I've spoken to HP and they're sending out a recovery disk. In the meantime I've installed Windows 8 using my own media. But. When the laptop boots I keep getting this message;

"manufacturing programming mode is set to unlocked"

Anyone know what this is, what the effect is on the laptop? I've tried updating the BIOS but it still comes up. Also, the 'born on' date within the BIOS is showing as 0/0/0 .

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hello,

It seems that your unit skipped some steps at the factory. This would explain that your BIOS is still in "factory mode" and that the OS wasn't loaded.

For the BIOS, the factory mode basically disables some security features, and may also provide you access to additionnal settings. As a standard user, I'm fairly sure that you won't be affected by this. But if you plan to setup a BIOS password or things like this, it's possible that they don't work.

As the notebook is under warranty, sending it to repair could be a safe choice, to avoid any possible issue.

What is your notebook model? Youd didn't told it in your post.

Knowing this, I may find if a simple BIOS update can get it back to "consumer mode".

Regards

I am an HP employee, but I speak on this forum only for myself and not for HP
HP Recommended
Hi,

The machine is a HP Spectre XT 2100EA with the F. 13 BIOS updated using the HP tools.

I'd rather not send it back as, well, it's needed so anything that can be done remotely would be fantastic.

Thanks
Gavin
HP Recommended

Hello,

I just got the response from the engineering guys. During their way in the factory, the units are set in MPM (Manufacturing Programming Mode) for all the funtionnal tests. This MPM is then deactivated at the end of the production line.

For a small bunch of units (included yours), the MPM deactivation failed.

The main issue is that, even if your Win8 key has been embedded in your BIOS, the MPM mode avoids WIndows to access and recognize it.

A simple tool has been developped to solve this issue, but is confidential and can only be used by HP repair partners.

You may ask why, so I'l explain quickly : this tool is harmless for almost every user, but it can be used by evil-minded persons to create BIOS viruses or hacking stuff.

So, I'm sorry to inform you that the only way to get your BIOS in standard mode, and get your Win8 key recognized properly is to send your unit in repair.

Regards.

I am an HP employee, but I speak on this forum only for myself and not for HP
HP Recommended
Same issue on the Envy X2 😞 Also no os loaded or recovery partition guess its rtv time
HP Recommended
@Simpuhl,

If you have the same symptoms, then it will need to be sent in to be corrected.

Sorry that your unit was a part of the small percent that may have been affected by this. 😞

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I actually work for Marketsource a partner of HP. I was setting up a Demo at an Office Depot when I got the issue, I had them RTV it.

Thank you for your reply!

HP Recommended

Hello there,

I've got the same issue with my Envy x2 but Windows 8 is installed but the key is not valid. I suppose it's related to the Bios problem. Also the Serial Nuimber is the machine doesnt fit with the one on the box. I've called the HP support and they asked me to contact the sales support.

😞

HP Recommended

Hi All,

Please provide us the complete model of your system along with the operating system, so that we can assist you in a better way.

How to locate model number:

Notebook:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Regards,

=======================

I am an HP employee.

If my suggestion was helpful, you can thank me by clicking on the "Kudos" button!
If my answer solved your problem, please feel free let the community know by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button!!

HP Recommended

Dear ,

last week i replaced the susyem board for hp g6 -also comming same error."If you said you know how to slove this issue. Im an  HP employee please explain how can do it and how to download error remover tool.

thnx.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.