Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
17-cp0097nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I'm seeing this laptop 17-cp0097nr for $150 off I had looked at this a month ago when I ordered a HP 15.3" Ryzen 5500U laptop that I ended up sending back because of 16GB ram limit and terrible lcd.

My questions are what is the memory limit for this model and is the screen acceptable? I find no reviews online and no user or repair manual for this model so I'm assuming it's new. Can anyone point me to more info on this other than the spec sheet?

edit- also looking for backlit keyboard, even if I have to order one from another model in this line

Thanks,

Paul 

Volunteering here is my therapy
17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

Memory: 2 slots. Manual says max is 16 gb but not so. Its 32 gigs. Ryzen 7-5700U will run 3200 speed DDR4 at full speed. My Ryzen 3 HP laptop runs memory at 3200 mhz. 1.2 v Stock latency is CL=22 and you will not be able to run the memory at any less latency. 

Single M.2 slot takes SATA or NVME and the model you ask about comes with a 256 gig NVME M.2

Retrofitting a backlit keyboard is not a practical option and if you want more details I will tell you why. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Can someone from support post the exact memory spec for this in terms of max memory?  Can we put in 1 or 2 sticks of ram?  What speed?  What latency?  What voltage? I would assume DDR4-3200 but Crucial Memory finder shows DDR4-2666 (available as 2 x 32GB sticks in a 64GB kit.)

2-32GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM 1.2V CL19

In Stock - 99  Available
SKU: CT2K32G4SFD8266
Configuration ID: CT16252019

Also would like to know if there are 1 or 2 m.2 ports for storage?

HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

Memory: 2 slots. Manual says max is 16 gb but not so. Its 32 gigs. Ryzen 7-5700U will run 3200 speed DDR4 at full speed. My Ryzen 3 HP laptop runs memory at 3200 mhz. 1.2 v Stock latency is CL=22 and you will not be able to run the memory at any less latency. 

Single M.2 slot takes SATA or NVME and the model you ask about comes with a 256 gig NVME M.2

Retrofitting a backlit keyboard is not a practical option and if you want more details I will tell you why. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. I have one on the way, is why I'm asking the questions. Why is retrofitting a backlit keyboard not practical? I did not do an exhaustive search, but I think I saw some models using the same chassis have a backlit as an option.

edit- In the service manual you provided it shows some models are available with backlit keyboards, but not the black colored laptop.

17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

JamesN2, I have noticed there is a second hard drive space on the 17-cp0xxx line, It's not m2 but SATA3. 

17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

The keyboard is built into the top cover so you must replace a very large part and it takes complete disassembly of the laptop to do it. Very expensive and a lot of work. The space for the second hard drive will require a caddy and cable for attaching the HDD/SSD and these can also be hard to find. HP will not include those parts if you do not order the laptop with a 2.5 inch drive. 

HP Recommended

Appreciate the info. The keyboard issue is important to me but not a deal breaker. Screen quality and 32GB memory are important also.

17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

Memory finally got here, I've always used GSkill https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-260-pin-ddr4-so-dimm/p/N82E16820374024?  I can't get it to work, entering bios takes multiple tries and even if I can get there, trying to load the OS gets me to the windows recovery mode. Thinking one of the modules was bad, I started with one side removing one of the 16GB Gskill modules and installing the OEM 4GB module. DId this and made it finally to bios diagnostic, it said Module1 Slot 1 failed. No markings on motherboard and no indication which side is left, save for early in documentation left is left when looking laptop with lid open.

I got frustrated after several hours on and off messing with it, and am unsure if this ram is compatible with this laptop or one of the modules is bad. I put the OEM SK Hynix modules back in and everything returned to normal. Any help with this?

17-cp0097er
HP Envy 27-b014
HP Recommended

All I can tell you is HP notebooks have a very checkered history with any kind of gaming or performance memory with names like Ripjaws. Generally you want to use OEM type like Hynix, Crucial. Your memory is not particularly fast latency but it may have other parameters which just make it incompatible. I also think the failure message is significant. Try to return the Ripjaws and get something plain vanilla. You cannot improve the performance of the laptop with "better" memory. HP provides memory with the fastest operating speed and best latency the motherboard can handle. 

HP Recommended

First, thanks for your answer.  It's helpful and has helped me decide to buy the laptop by Black Friday if possible. 

How did you know 32GB works?  Is there a reason 64GB or 128GB wouldn't work?

EDIT: Found out 128GB definitely won't work because of the answer here https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/amd/ryzen_7/5700u

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.